Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 890 yard kill from a benchrest? >

890 yard kill from a benchrest?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

890 yard kill from a benchrest?

Old 04-15-2008, 12:25 PM

Default RE: 890 yard kill from a benchrest?

long shot i want witnessed a 350 yard shot with a 12 gauge sabat slug he was aiming high and he hit the deer i couldnt belive it
Old 04-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you have practiced.................and practiced.................and practiced some more...............and more.............and.........well you get the point...I don't see anything wrong with it. Most of the guys that do this kind of shooting know exactly how their bullets will fly, in all types of conditions, and have done their homework well. I personally won't be shooting like that for a while, but if someone knows what they are doing, and it adds a new challenge for them to pursue, then, by all means go at it.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't see a problem with it.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:18 PM
Typical Buck

You dont really have to be any kiind of hunter to kill a deer that way, just a fat slob that can pull a trigger.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:56 PM

I can't stand these other people that say this or that is unethical because it is not the way they hunt. If it is legal and the shooter has the ability to shoot at that distance than that is awesome not unethical. i can't do it but I know a few guys that can and wouldn't hesitate to lay adeer down at that range. Hunters (not poachers)are there ownworst enemies.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

I look at it this way... Ethical to me is a shot that I hit 99.9% of the time. An ethically "lethal" shot on a deer is within an 8-inch pie plate (vitals).

If these guys that take an 890 yard shot can hit an 8-inch pie plate at the same distances 99.9% of the time, then it is ethical to me.

Obviously I am being sarcastic, I think even the most expert marksman with the best equipment would be "lucky" to hit an 8-inch plate approximately 50% of the time at 890 yards. There are way too many factors which can affect shots over that kind of range, no matter how skilled the marksman, it is almost the "spray and pray" mentality.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: RugerM77.270

Tell me what make a person who only shoots a box of shells a year,taking a 200 yard shot at a running deer more ethical then a person with the equipment to shoot 900 yards and has practiced with hundreds of rounds and knows they can hit the deer. Long range shooting adds a new spin to hunting just as bow hunting.

Bow hunting adds a new thrill that requires a higher level of skill for the hunter. Many in experianced bow hunters have lost and maimed deer because they didn't have the skill to take the shot.

Long range shooting adds a new thrill and requires a higher level of skill for the hunter. And just as with bow hunting the shot should only be taken buy those who have a skill level to handed the circumstances.
i never thought thought of that point of veiw but now that you say it i agree
Old 04-16-2008, 07:41 PM

ORIGINAL: newguy23

I look at it this way... Ethical to me is a shot that I hit 99.9% of the time. An ethically "lethal" shot on a deer is within an 8-inch pie plate (vitals).

If these guys that take an 890 yard shot can hit an 8-inch pie plate at the same distances 99.9% of the time, then it is ethical to me.

Obviously I am being sarcastic, I think even the most expert marksman with the best equipment would be "lucky" to hit an 8-inch plate approximately 50% of the time at 890 yards. There are way too many factors which can affect shots over that kind of range, no matter how skilled the marksman, it is almost the "spray and pray" mentality.
So what you are saying is that a man can't have enough skill to take that shot. Let me say this when I was in the service I watched snipers shoot at distances of that range and put 10 rounds in a 6 inch circle and they could do it all day long.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Armybowhunter28

You dont really have to be any kiind of hunter to kill a deer that way, just a fat slob that can pull a trigger.
Then go out this afternoon and pull the trigger on a target at 900 yards, you won't even come close to it. Sit in the stand and try to see a deer at 900 yards that takes skill and patience. Being able to spot a deer at 900 yards takes skill being able to consistantly shoot atarget at 900 yards takes more skill then most people will ever have. So you are wrong its not a fat slob who can pull the trigger. Its a skilled marksman who knows what he/she is doing.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:06 AM

I think that's an amazing talent...let's see him stick one 15 yds with a bow