Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Benchrest bag >

Benchrest bag

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Benchrest bag

Old 03-14-2007, 09:39 PM

Default Benchrest bag

I was wondering what everyone prefers to put in their rest bags. I have and use bags filled with most everything. Regular sand silica sand and corn cob and acron media. The regular sand isnt so hot to me and the silica sand isnt too bad. The media bags work pretty well. If i had to pick a favorite it would be the acorn media or the silica sand. What do you guys have in your bags and what works the best for you. also are you using leather or combo bags that are part leather and part other materials.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Benchrest bag

I justcut off thelegs from coveralls or pants &fill with play sand. Tried bunny ears, bags, rests, etcbut keep migrating back to these cheap but effective sand bags.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

i recently bought a Caldwell Tack Driver bag. i have not filled it with anything yet because i have not had time to shoot since i bought it. i was just going to get some of the "sandbox" sand from Lowes to fill it.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

For woodchucking when often times we shoot off the roof or hood of the truck I use empty shot bags filled with wheat.
I use wheat since it is free for me.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.grafs.com/fc/product/120384

Ive tried many and have had the best luck with a bag like this.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:30 AM
Typical Buck

Hands down,lead shot! Something small like #8 or #9 shot packs really good.I fill the leather front bag and use a 25lb unopened bag of shot for under the butt stock.Minimizes human error[gun movement] at the bench..Harold
Old 03-16-2007, 08:31 PM

thanks guys but i think i should explainbetter. i have a new set of bags already purchased. both the rear bunny ear bag and the bag to go on my front rifle rest. I have other bag sets filled with the things i listed before and they all work but i was trying to see if anyone else had a different idea. the wheat sounds good but its not so easy to get here. and the lead shot is also good but dang that stuff is getting spendy. i had someone in the gun shop today tell me his bags are filled with craft beads the little tiny ones which he says are about the size of 7 1/2 shot but is much lighter and a fair bit cheaper.