Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

7mm rem mag

Old 04-05-2008, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 7mm rem mag

I've taken deer and hogs with the 7 MAG and have really good luck with Federal Premium's 140 gr. Nosler Partition.
There are so many bullet designs out there now, but with a high velocity round like a 140 gr. bullet in a 7 MAG, I want something that will open up and close AND longer ranges to transfer KE into the animal and start a good wound channel, BUT also have the ability to hold together and penetrate all the way through the animal.
Every deer and hog I've shot with this load has been a bang/flop....maybe just lucky so far....but it sure builds confidence.....actually as I type this I cant imagine why I've posted so many questions about "deer and hog caliber opinions" looking back on those kind of results.......huh...kinda' feel like a dork now.

Anyway, I'm also really interested in playing with some of the Nosler Accubond bullets. Just think....a bullet as accurate and flat shooting as the famous Nosler Balistic Tip.....but not NEARLY as prone to over-expanding on a close up shot. Pretty hard to ignore how effective this bullet could be in a fast round like the 7 MAG.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Bloodsaw

"But, if you think about it, the faster a bullet is moving, the faster and better the expansion will be!"

I HIGHLY disagree....but thats your theory
There is no such thing as "too fast to expand!" UNLESS the bullet is not designed to expand or if it is designed to expand on thougher game! Other than that, higher velocity, more expansion!
Old 04-05-2008, 10:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I pump my 150gr NBTs out at over 3100FPS from my 7 RM. I have harvested canadian bucks from 30 feet to over 483yards with this bullet. Never not got a pass through and never have one run more then 50 yards(most are down very quickly). Up close expect bigger holes more expansion but after the bullet has slowed down they are extremely reliable. 2 years ago i shot a mulie buck lasered at 428yard through both shoulders - bullet exited, meat damage was very minimal considering the location and DRT was the result. I expect the chance for a 100 yards shot is as likely as a 300 yard shot so the NBT is a good fit for me. The fact I have had excellent performance on gamewith it and its scary accurate in my rifle makes it even easier to load with confidence. Now If I were hunting where 100 yards shots were the norm and 300 were highly unlikely I'd pick a flat based bullet like the NP, Speers GS, etc. I have used the Bonded polymers as well, they work for a situation where ranges of short and long are likely. Maybe a little more insurance at top velocity or heavier bone but when you hit shoulder expectsome losses. I see no need going light gr for cal., polmyer tipped or boattailswhere range isn't really a factor (250+). Quite simply match the bullet to the usage and you'll be pleased.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

i shota 7 point this year 7mm 140grain core lok shot his shoulder about a 15 yard shot we jumped him out and he ran through a small stream up a hill across the hill jumped over a fence and through a grass field we tracked him for prolly 200 yards until we didnt have permission to cross the on neighbors property would have been my biggest kill not that it was big just my biggest so far isa 5 point but my farthest shot is only 100 yards so learning from what you all are using is what i was planning on bying for this deer season so 160 grain bullets i found federal brand they have some kind of a lead tip on them?? do you guys think that will help be a better choice? instead of buying a new gun lol
Old 04-06-2008, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Absolutely as well as some time at the range. At thatdistance it must have been an excitable moment. I know it's hard to get the body and mind to settle in situations like that but it does make the difference between chasing or gutting. Also give them some time to bleed out if you don't think you made a fatal shot. A little patience will go a long way. He might have just run a little way, lied down and bled out. Patience is key to becoming a successful hunter (I know it is hard to control the excitement but weall learn something each time we go out there). Better luck next time.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Since you never found the animal no way to know where you actually hit him so blaming the rifle or bullet wouldn't be fair.Bullet placement is the key, no matter how big or what cartridge if you don't hit them properly your going to be in for some tracking. I agree with whitetaildreamer you need to lay off deer that aren't well hit, seen them go a long ways seemingly on adrenaline alone, a poor hit makes it even worse.

As far as range 100 and under no need for the lightest/fastest load, I'd up the grains to 160 or even try the 175. Then use the one that is most accurate in your rifle.

G/L
Old 04-06-2008, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

thanks guys for you feedback. we never saw him leave the cover of brush so we didnt think he went anywhere boy were we wrong. thanks for telling me about patience i sure do need to remember that. but if i should tell you a little more if i dont bore you with another long post i seems to me like my bullet never opened up we waited for about a half hour even tho we thought he didnt come out of the brush and we didnt hear anything cross the creek i guess it was excitement (while i set here and shake my head lol) but he never bleed that much at all the hole time we were tracking him we were following only 50 cent piece spots of bright red blood even when he went up the hill the most was dollar sized and thanks skeeter i will do that i will try both grains and see what works i always sight my gun at 100 yards every year thanks!
Old 04-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Typical Buck

The 7mm Mag is not large enough for deer, you really need to start at .30 and up
Old 04-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

There is no such thing as "too fast to expand!" UNLESS the bullet is not designed to expand or if it is designed to expand on thougher game! Other than that, higher velocity, more expansion!

Thatsyour opinion....I have used lighter fast grains at close range and had PIN size holes i havent lost one yet, because even the pin size holes work when you put it in the kill zone but i beefed up from 130 grain to 150 grain and have shot them at 10 - 15 yards and had NICE holes....

Out past 50 yards the 130's work fine, but too close and they dont do enough damage for me..
Old 04-07-2008, 11:12 AM

I've been shooting the 7mm Mag since 1977.There was nota lot of choice back then. Just Remington core locks and Winchester silver tips. When the new stuff started coming out I just had to try them but in the end, for deer, the less expensive oldfashion 150gn Winchestersilver tips killed them just as fast and just as dead as the premium stuff and my Remington 700 BDL shot them well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.