Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deeer hunting Ontario

Old 03-27-2008, 10:36 AM

Default Deeer hunting Ontario

Im going on a guided deer hunt in NW Ontariothis coming fall. I will be NW of Kenora. Have any of you huntedup in this area? Any tips or advice on techniques would be greatly appreciated.
Been saving a long time for this hunt so im pretty excited for this fall.
Thanks
Old 03-27-2008, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deeer hunting Ontario

I was up in that same area last year. Not to discourage you...but I should have stayed home and saved the money. I have NEVER in my life been crawled up on by so many people. I have hunted the U.P. of Michigan my entire life and there is a lot of pressure, but it is nothing compared to what we experienced in Ontario. In 6 days of hunting, I saw 1 deer, a doe fawn. Our group of 3 daw 7 total, one buck (fork horn). If you are going with an outfitter, hopefully it is all private land and WELL MARKED. The land we were one was private, but bordered by huge pieces of public ground just oozing with hunters from the states, most of whom seemed to be selectively blind. I also saved my dough to go up there, and came back completely disgusted and let down. Our group was SO excited leading up to it, and we came back defeated.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:11 AM

YooperMike.....I own a resort NW of Kenora and I totally agree with you. The number of hunters is getting out of control....hopefully the MNR can do something about it soon, or else its going to turn into a Michigan.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:15 PM
Fork Horn

I too hunted NW Ontario in 07' and I have never seen so many hunters in all my life! I hunted the U.P. for 15 yrs. and never saw that many guys, hell you can hunt in close proximity to Chicago and have less pressure.

That said, there are some outfitters that operate in the guide only zones who care about thier long term and limit pressure on thier ground. Some of these such outfits consistently produce deer that rival anything in the world. WHEN I go back I will be with one of these guys.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

My buddy talked to the Benoits @ the bigE show in Mass last month and they discussed Ontario.
The Benoits have been going up there for a handful of years now and with the publicity it has gotten out of control.
They are looking into another, less pressured, province of Cananda to continue there hunts on DVD collection.
They shot a big buck behind a lake and it was a looooong drag, so he asked one of the camp owners to rent his boat to get his deer acroos to his camp.
The following year there were dozens of people in this area.
Come to find out, the owner of this lakeside camp started publicizing his hunting camp as
"Where the Benoits shot their big buck, behind my camp".
Everyone knows how flies go to poop, no different with deer
Old 03-31-2008, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah, they have quite a following. I didn't see as many Vermont plates in Vermont.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:40 AM

The Dryden and Kenora areas are over run with non-resident hunters because there is no guide requirement. Thats the problem plain and simple.