Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

HUNTER (definition)

Old 02-13-2003, 07:22 AM

Default HUNTER (definition)

I know in the past people have given there definition of what a hunter is under certain circumstances. What I was wondering is what is eveyones overall definition of a hunter?
When you answer this try to think of every type of hunting there is( not women) from fishing to elephants.

One more question alot of people fish, and they believe strongly in catch and release. Now if we could hunt with tranquilizer guns would you? You could get that big deer take a picture then next year when he is even bigger you could do it all over again. I know this sounds off the wall, but so didn' t catch and release when it started. I' m not saying we would stop hunting for food either.
Old 02-13-2003, 02:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: HUNTER (definition)

Fair chase
Challenge
Obession or passion
Respect (animals, landowners, etc)
Knowledge and Experience
Loves the outdoors/nature
Successful/Harvests (Joy, accomplishment, self satisfaction, Happiness)
Gives Back (Conservation)
Active (teacher, pass on the tradition, etc)
Companionship (deer camp, hunting buddies, etc)
Honest
Provider (food/Cloths, art)
Hardworking
Peace (woods, strees relief)
Evolving
Industry

I am sure many more or expansions could be added to these bullets, just some that came to mind.

To answer number two, there are many ways to do that now:
Camera
Game Camera
Video
Sheds
Passing (min. standards)
Hunting journals

I guess hunting is many things, more than a picture or mount or meat. It is a way of life for most of us. Good question, I am not sure how to accurately answer it, other that there are ways to take a piece of the animal without taking all of it and the one you take brings additional elements....that really sums up HUNTING!!!

Old 02-14-2003, 05:21 AM

Thanks skeeter 7mm.

It is a hard question(1st) I think you gave great answers.

The reason I asked the 2nd question is if you could put the deer down without hurting it, you could still stand next to it and have your picture taken. I know that alot of people think I' m nuts for asking such a wierd question, maybe I just have to much time on my hands.
Old 02-14-2003, 12:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Model722, I thought about it a bit and no I don' t think I would. I think my first answer and second answer I originally post sum that up.

I do practice C&R when fishing by only keeping smaller (eater size) fish and only enough for a fresh meal. While they maybe hold some of the same reasons, value, etc...hunting and fishing are not equal in my mind. Also I know that for every fish i release i am giving them about a 10% chance of death, I use barbless, keep them in the water and minimize touching them but still the trauma of being caught and struggle to get free will and does effect their survival in the end. So like C&R fishing, hunting may or could have the same results. Many people who practice C&R think they can catch, catch and catch with no impact on the resource...that is not true. I practice with every ten fish I catch I will take 2 towards my daily limit. I feel that to protect and do greater good I should assume some of those fish may not indeed make it. IE: the limit is 4 fish, i will only catch 20 and call it a day...even though my bucket is empty. I know maybe a bit overkill, but I think if I do my part or more it will help in areas that others just take.

If these same rates held true for hunting, some people would shoot all kinds, sizes, species of game, get the photo and assume no death or harm has come. How would you be able to police that? What would be the overall effect on the herd or the bucks in the area?(it can' t be zero) What real purpose would it serve, for a picture or mount? We can do that without any risk now!

Being I am a trophy hunter, you would think I would say, yes. However, I enjoy so many aspects of hunting that the harvest or mount just is ICING ON THE CAKE. Call me crazy, I guess.
Old 02-17-2003, 07:49 AM

I also agree that fishing and deer hunting are very different. I also do the same as you when I fish, it is very true that some of the fish that are caught & released do die.
I agree that it would be hard to police dart hunting, plus if a person were to hunt that way they would have to know something about the effects of the drug on the animal. Like I said I just wondered what people thought. I personally hunt for the meat, and if I get lucky enough to kill a deer with a big rack then that is just one of the things that give joy to the hunt.