Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The Milo Hanson Buck

Old 12-23-2013, 07:58 AM
  #41  
Giant Nontypical
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Allegan, MI
Posts: 8,019
Default

Originally Posted by skinnnner
Its been the record for the last 20 years.not bad for a spindly tined buck.

***It's not been 20 years Skinnner. It was killed 10 years ago today on 12/23/03. That's still pretty darn good with all the bucks that are taken every year all over North America.
Topgun 3006 is offline  
Old 12-23-2013, 08:26 AM
  #42  
Typical Buck
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Where animals get eaten
Posts: 671
Default

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
***It's not been 20 years Skinnner. It was killed 10 years ago today on 12/23/03. That's still pretty darn good with all the bucks that are taken every year all over North America.
It was killed in 93 not 03
skinnnner is offline  
Old 12-23-2013, 08:29 AM
  #43  
Typical Buck
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Where animals get eaten
Posts: 671
Default

And it wasnt killed in december it was killed in november.saskatchewan has never had a deer season that extends that far into dec
skinnnner is offline  
Old 12-23-2013, 08:53 AM
  #44  
Giant Nontypical
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Allegan, MI
Posts: 8,019
Default

Originally Posted by skinnnner
And it wasnt killed in december it was killed in november.saskatchewan has never had a deer season that extends that far into dec
***My deepest apologies Skinnner! I stand corrected and you are right on the button my man!!! I was thinking that deer was killed longer than ten years ago, but looked at that OP picture and thought it was for the 10th anniversary---my bad!!!
Topgun 3006 is offline  
Old 12-23-2013, 08:57 AM
  #45  
Typical Buck
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Where animals get eaten
Posts: 671
Default

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
***My deepest apologies Skinnner! I stand corrected and you are right on the button my man!!! I was thinking that deer was killed longer than ten years ago, but looked at that OP picture and thought it was for the 10th anniversary---my bad!!!
It happens.i cant remember what the exact deductions were but it was close to nil.which is amazeing concidering its over 200 inches of bone.
skinnnner is offline  
Old 12-23-2013, 09:27 AM
  #46  
Giant Nontypical
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Allegan, MI
Posts: 8,019
Default

Originally Posted by skinnnner
It happens.i cant remember what the exact deductions were but it was close to nil.which is amazeing concidering its over 200 inches of bone.
***You got that right on both accounts!!! It is really a beautiful, almost perfectly symetrical rack and hard to believe it was only 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 years old at the most. The reason I made the "spindly" comment earlier is that I'm so used to watching shows where they are hunting up there, especially Jim Shockey, and the racks are always so dark colored and massive and their bodies look like beef cattle!
Topgun 3006 is offline  
Old 12-23-2013, 10:11 AM
  #47  
Typical Buck
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Where animals get eaten
Posts: 671
Default

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
***You got that right on both accounts!!! It is really a beautiful, almost perfectly symetrical rack and hard to believe it was only 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 years old at the most. The reason I made the "spindly" comment earlier is that I'm so used to watching shows where they are hunting up there, especially Jim Shockey, and the racks are always so dark colored and massive and their bodies look like beef cattle!
Well i do agree it looks spindly but it still has close to 5 inch mass mesurements threw out.i think the lenght of the tines make it appear smaller then what someone would suspect or expect.It was also taken in southern sask where the country has few trees so dark racks are not the norm.As far as the age iv always writen off this buck as a freak of nature.
skinnnner is offline  
Old 12-23-2013, 10:38 AM
  #48  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 2,358
Default

Originally Posted by skeeter 7MM

You said it...imagine what he would have been like in a year or 2???[]
Hunters these days that just can't let the small ones grow to their potential!

(really need a sarcasm icon!)
Bob H in NH is offline  
Old 12-23-2013, 10:43 AM
  #49  
Typical Buck
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Where animals get eaten
Posts: 671
Default

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
***You got that right on both accounts!!! It is really a beautiful, almost perfectly symetrical rack and hard to believe it was only 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 years old at the most. The reason I made the "spindly" comment earlier is that I'm so used to watching shows where they are hunting up there, especially Jim Shockey, and the racks are always so dark colored and massive and their bodies look like beef cattle!
You know top,those damn shows do more harm then good.they never are realistic.how many of these hunts on tv are on public land?not very many.and they like to portray trophy sized animals hideing behind every tree,which is far from true.sure if you hunt on a large section of land and there are very minimal amount of hunters then yes animals will grow large and stupid.but these are situations that the average hunter wont experiance unless you pay out the money.
skinnnner is offline  
Old 12-23-2013, 10:47 AM
  #50  
Giant Nontypical
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Allegan, MI
Posts: 8,019
Default

Originally Posted by skinnnner
Well i do agree it looks spindly but it still has close to 5 inch mass mesurements threw out.i think the lenght of the tines make it appear smaller then what someone would suspect or expect.It was also taken in southern sask where the country has few trees so dark racks are not the norm.As far as the age iv always writen off this buck as a freak of nature.
***I agree with that assessment. You immediately see the length of all those tines and the width of it, such that the mass probably does look a lot smaller than it is. I'd also say he's sort of a freak to grow a rack like that so young when normally they say a deer doesn't put that much into it's rack until it's body is pretty much as big as it will ever be. I do envy you guys up there that live where deer have that kind of potential.

I'm with you on the TV shows and also videos being put out. I don't watch them much or buy them any more since hunting has turned into just an industry, which is very sad after the way I was brought up back in the 50s. There are an awfull lot of private holdings where only a few have access to them and then it's top dollar no matter whether it's high or low fence. I do all my hunting DIY on public land for big game now out in Wyoming and have for some time. There is an awful lot of satisfaction knowing that I can take a good animal for just the cost of my license compared to guys that are paying $4K to $7K for a 5 day hunt for deer and elk just down the road 20 miles on a 100,000 acre ranch that doesn't really have any better animals, but they can keep people out unless they pay the outfitter that has it leased to take them. I really think we're both cut pretty much from the same mold and about the only thing we've disagreed on is the huge high fence ranches in Texas that you wouldn't hunt, but how often are two people going to agree with each other 100% of the time! I'm glad you don't have me on ignore any more, as I like the opportunity to chat with persons such as yourself that have the same basic ethics and passion that I do. Have a good holiday season Bro!!!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-23-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Topgun 3006 is offline  

Quick Reply: The Milo Hanson Buck


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.