Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The Milo Hanson Buck

Old 02-25-2008, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The Milo Hanson Buck

I was just taking a good look at the pics of the Milo Hanson buck. An awesome buck for sure. But I was noticing, and it may just be the size of the antlers. But it doesn't carry muck mass for it size. It looks to me that my buck from this year had similar mass (of course not nearly as tall or as many points) Anyone know the age of the Hanson buck?

Old 02-25-2008, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The Milo Hanson Buck

Jason:
Here's some stats on the buck:

Hanson Buck The Official World Record Whitetail Deer
Deer Base Information Shot Nov. 23, 1993 near Biggar Saskatchewan. Official Boone and Crockett score is 213 1/8. This replaces the Jordan Buck, shot 80 years ago. The Hanson Buck was shot on land belonging to Milo Hanson. Shot with .308 Winchester 150 grain factory ammo - three shots hit the buck. The rifle was a Winchester model 88 with a Weaver K4 scope. The distance was about 100 yards for the inital shot, running straight away. A large fragment of the first bullet is embedded in the left main beam, causing a crack and significant removal of antler material. The main beam is structurally sound. The Hanson Buck antlers are incredibly wide and uniform with great tine length.
The buck was an estimated 3 1/2 years old. The estimated body weight was 200 pounds. The body was not large compared to many mature Saskatchewan bucks.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

no....its not that great of mass (for a world record deer)
Old 02-25-2008, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jimmy S

Jason:
Here's some stats on the buck:

[align=center]Hanson Buck The Official World Record Whitetail Deer[/align][align=left]Deer Base Information Shot Nov. 23, 1993 near Biggar Saskatchewan. Official Boone and Crockett score is 213 1/8. This replaces the Jordan Buck, shot 80 years ago. The Hanson Buck was shot on land belonging to Milo Hanson. Shot with .308 Winchester 150 grain factory ammo - three shots hit the buck. The rifle was a Winchester model 88 with a Weaver K4 scope. The distance was about 100 yards for the inital shot, running straight away. A large fragment of the first bullet is embedded in the left main beam, causing a crack and significant removal of antler material. The main beam is structurally sound. The Hanson Buck antlers are incredibly wide and uniform with great tine length. [/align][align=left][/align][align=left]The buck was an estimated 3 1/2 years old. The estimated body weight was 200 pounds. The body was not large compared to many mature Saskatchewan bucks.
[/align]
Dang I didn't know that. That worried me this year when I shot my buck. I shot high spining him but had to shoot again to put him down. Realizing I had shot high I was worried I would shoot realy high and hit him in the antler. So I aimed low. Would have sucked for Milo to shoot that antler off huh.

3 1/2 ...Thats what I was wondering. Man what a buck at that age. Wonder what he would have been like at 4 1/2 or 5 1/2.

Awesome deer for sure.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Having seen the real thing at the first scoring it isn't even average for mass here but your eyes don't really noticethat at first,as his width, beam and tine length is amazing. I can see that deer 6 days a week in replica form as the big hunting shop has one at the entrance..his attributes far outweigh his short comings.

At that antler scoring the area where the bullet struck the beam was taped, however it had to be removed for H measurement....it was a an errand shot no doubt about it. He claimed at that time it wasn't his but laterstated it was a frag from his shot. The skull also had a damage from the finshing shot[&:]!!! It was very close to what would have been a world record. He goes by "Mr lucky" as well as Mr. hansen

You said it...imagine what he would have been like in a year or 2???[]

Old 02-25-2008, 10:12 AM
Typical Buck

I would have a hard time keeping my composure if he walked under my stand. Nice deer, even without the mass.
chris
Old 02-25-2008, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wonder what he would have been like at 4 1/2 or 5 1/2.
He would have too many deductions to be the world record if he lived an extra year or two. Two of the tines were already split.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

..his attributes far outweigh his short comings.

No doubt!!!

You saw it scored,... Very cool...

I'm not sure I could have hit it looking at that buck either. Like I said I worried about it with my buck and he wasn't running.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Biggar is an hour from where I live. However at the time the deer was taken I was working as a guide in the NW of the province,asluck would have ita individual who's well known in the industry was on hand(as per usual). We made the convoy trip to see/green score it at Milo's farm.The individual was Jim Shockey and he was asked by Dick Idol of NA Whitetail to go verify the story. Itwas on this night that Jim on Dicks behalf basically inked the deal for NA Whitetail to have the exclusive on the hansen buck.Cool experience no doubt. I also attended the official scoring (along with several 1000 others) at the Bigger arena. This was far less interactive as the deer was well out of arms reach in a roped off area...given the maganitude of what this deer would bring understandable...but also cool to say "hey I was their!"
Old 02-25-2008, 03:00 PM
Site Buck Guru

That's a very cool experience indeed, skeeter7MM.

Now get the next one yourself!! [:-]

Quick Reply: The Milo Hanson Buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.