Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Left eye dominant

Old 02-26-2008, 07:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Left eye dominant

I agree...

I am left eye dominant and shoot lefty. But yet with handguns, I can shoot either lefty or righty. Go figure...

I'm sort of weird in a way, regarding left/right handedness:

Right hand
Sports: bat, tennis, golf, hockey, throw football
Music: play guitar and other stringed instruments
Firearms: can shoot handguns right hand (or left hand)
Misc:saw wood

Left Hand
Sports: kick soccer ball, throw baseball, fling frizbee
Music: play drums (drum kit is reversed. floor tom-tom and hi-hatswitch sides, bass drum is kicked with left foot)
Firearms: shoot bows, rifles, shotguns, handguns
Misc: eat, write, hammer a nail

Old 02-26-2008, 08:18 PM

ORIGINAL: wetpwdr53

My son is 17, right handed, but is left eye dominant. Due to sports etc. we haven't been able to hunt in the last few years, but hope to start again. The last time we shot trap, he shot with one eye closed. Any suggestions on hunting/shooting with this problem? thanks.
I'm ambidextrous, wish I could help.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

He shoots right handed.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:19 AM

My dad used to tell i looked retarded when i used to shoot my rifles. Then we realized that i was right handed but left eyed dominant. Now that im older im learning to shoot using my right eye, its kinda hard to shoot looking through a scope with your head laid all the way over on the stock. plus it hurts when the rifle recoils on your nose. But now i dont even think about it i automaticly use my right eye.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:01 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: DoveshooterII

My dad used to tell i looked retarded when i used to shoot my rifles. Then we realized that i was right handed but left eyed dominant. Now that im older im learning to shoot using my right eye, its kinda hard to shoot looking through a scope with your head laid all the way over on the stock. plus it hurts when the rifle recoils on your nose. But now i dont even think about it i automaticly use my right eye.
All you have to do is Close your left eye and look thru the scope!......Unless you're blind in the right eye!......When Right Hand/Left Dominate'shave a problem is when shooting Shotguns. Shotguns you point and Rifles you aim.....
Old 02-28-2008, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

I am a right handed. After hunting for several years I experienced a righteye injury that left me with a small blind black spot just bigenough to cause me not to be able to see my sights.. This is after I had several righty guns and a bow. However, this wasn't going to deter me, now I shoot left handed with great success (except those red fox[&:]). I even shoot my righty bow left handed with out any string slap (compound). However, I don't have a quiver on my bow. When hunting dangerous game it is imparitive to have the bolt (action)on which ever side your eye is dominant as it is not possible to keep the scope on a charging animal and reload with the same speed as a proper eye fitted gun. It takes some getting used to, but it can be done. However some guns are harder, like my browning humpback A-5, on follow up shots on ducks and geese I would find the recoil would at times force my finger to hit the saftey back on- leaving me pulling the trigger with nothing happening.. have to get a new gun before next year, or perhaps it is possible to reverse the saftey on this gun??
Old 03-01-2008, 05:59 AM

my son is left dominant as well, he is right handed with "a lazy eye". He seems to manage well and was invited to join a shooting club to compete.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:17 AM

I am right handed and left eye dominant. I shoot rifles and bows left handed. My right eye is almost a lazy eye. I guess I don't use it and it is pretty weak. I have found for me it is easier this way. It took a while to get used to shooting left handed but now it is natural. Maybe you can have him try shooting lefty and see how he likes it.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:06 AM

I like shooting all my shotguns, pretty much just because you dont have to aimyou just point and pull.