Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

All this hype about camo.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: All this hype about camo.

Corporate America my friend, if there's a dollar to be made, someone will find a way to make it.
It is marketing at it's finest. Let's not forget that we buy new vehicles, snowmobiles, ATV, etc... and the list goes on...

What ever we are replacing is not the "latest technology", is how it's sold, got to have the latest and greatest.
Heck there are still a lot of 80's and 90's pick-up trucks around that still work fine. Have you bought a new one lately?
Another example is I have a friend that hunts with a 1982 Hoyt compound bow and has killed more deer than me, with my fancy Matthews bow that shots around 240'/sec.
The old Hoyt shots 172"/sec.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
Old 02-22-2008, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

I love camo, I have camo drawers on right now !
Old 02-22-2008, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I cant even start to tell you how many bucks my dad has killed in flannel shirts and BDUs. I am guilty because i still like to have a good camo pattern to bowhunt- mossy oak preferably
Old 02-22-2008, 09:10 AM
Typical Buck

I vote we bring plaid back in style,it'sgreat camo. Yard sales and the after season sales is all we poor folk have.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:22 AM

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

Corporate America my friend, if there's a dollar to be made, someone will find a way to make it.
It is marketing at it's finest. Let's not forget that we buy new vehicles, snowmobiles, ATV, etc... and the list goes on...

What ever we are replacing is not the "latest technology", is how it's sold, got to have the latest and greatest.
Heck there are still a lot of 80's and 90's pick-up trucks around that still work fine. Have you bought a new one lately?
Another example is I have a friend that hunts with a 1982 Hoyt compound bow and has killed more deer than me, with my fancy Matthews bow that shots around 240'/sec.
The old Hoyt shots 172"/sec.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
I agree 100%. I'm proud to say I drive a truck older than me. Original motor. Of course theres going to be people out there who can afford all the latest stuff, and I guess thats ok because its not my money getting spent.

ORIGINAL: recurver167

I vote we bring plaid back in style,it'sgreat camo. Yard sales and the after season sales is all we poor folk have.
As Barb. Mandrell once said: I Was Country When Country Wasn't Cool,I remember wearing straight leg Levis
Flannel shirts even when they weren't in style.
I love em! Nothing more comfortable in the world! I'm glad to see theres some good ol' boys on here. First useful hunting forum I've ran across yet!
Old 02-22-2008, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Camo is made to fool hunters not deer. I like camo, and, as said earlier, buy mine from the clearance rack. I'm not so hung up on the camo as I am the material (lightweight for hot weather, fleece for cold weather). I can usually find those materials in camo more readily and cheaper than I can in non-camo.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't see it out hear where I live..
Not yet anyway.....
Everybody I hunt with, are in sweat pants....
I'm a true believer in camofluoging myself.......
But being comfortable will make or break your hunt..
Thats where I put my money at.......
You just have to be smartabout the product you purchase..
I normally wear a como bandana and break up my face with a little colour in warm weather, in cold I'll wear a camo bellacalva..
But as far as clothing, alot of camo material is noisy,alot of it is bulky and heavy, some is too thin (its gonna rip).
I use as much merino wool to keep noise levels down to a min.Doesn't neccessarly have to be camo, alot of earth tone colours will work for me as well..
Old 02-22-2008, 10:33 PM
Typical Buck

Another Very Good Post Discussion!

I been thinking a lot about this lately. I have been feeding Deer and Turkeys 15-20 Yards from my house. I park my Truck within 10 yards of where they eat. They are under a Dusk to Dawn light. I love watching them eat. My wife get so mad at them the wat they treat each other

My point is that I put the Corn out and they found it soon. My Truck was there. So I turned it around the Deer and Turkeys still came. So one day I had a Trailer on and I backed it right where the Truck sets. They acted like they never even seen it. So my conclusion is that movement is the Key. Along with Human Sent. I think they both Tie with being # ONE! If you move and he see's you? He's Gone! If he Smells you? and you don't move, He's still Gone!

I think you could be wearing a Orange Tux and score. Just my 2 cents!

TF
Old 02-22-2008, 10:55 PM

I just buy new camo that fits my environment when my old camo fades. Like MOhunter46 said, you don't want to be sticking out when that booner is 15 yds. from the base of your tree. I agree that it over commercialized, but if I were smart enough to make a million off a new camo pattern, I would and so would you.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

i agree with what most everyone has been saying, a lot of the camo out there is probably just a marketing ploy. HoWeVER, i also agree that you want to do all that you can in order to blend in with your environment so that you will not stick out like a sore thumb when in the woods. I've gotta admit, Realtree AP is my guilty pleasure when it comes to camobill jordan and his marketing "ploys" definitely hooked me with that pattern!!

Quick Reply: All this hype about camo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.