Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First time using a feeder.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default First time using a feeder.

I just ordered a corn feeder and it should be in by January 31st which works out great because that's my birthday. However, I've never used one before. I'm hoping to draw in some deer and turkey to my land but could use some advice. How often should I let it feed and for how many seconds? Will it take time for the game to get used to it? How much corn will it go through in a month? Thanks for your input.

BP
Old 01-24-2008, 04:47 PM

Default RE: First time using a feeder.

if the season is out where you are, i would set it up to go off about 1-2 hours before dark for 20sec each time. if it holds 2 bags it should last about a week mabey. after you fill it back up the deer will be use to it then i would cut back to 10sec to make it last longer. youll notice that when you run out the deer will tear the gound up trying to get more. just give em enough to keep em coming back. also. if the battary goes deaddont be lazy like i did and let it set up there all summer w/o getting the corn out. im not gonna even begin to explain how nasty it was and what all was in there
Old 01-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

It won't take long for the deer and turkeys to get used to it, especially this time of year where the food sources are a little more limited. I don't know if I would start out at 20 seconds though. You'll go through a lot of corn that way. I would start out with 10 seconds and then go down to 7 or 8 seconds. Ten seconds will throw plenty of corn. I set mine about 30 to 45minutes after first light and about an hour and a half before dark. Sometimes I will set three settings, 7:15 a.m., 12:00 noon, and 4:00 p.m., that is for this time of year. Of course early in the season, it will be different for daylight savings time. You should be able to put four 50 pound bags of corn in your feeder at one time. If you set the timer for 8 to 10 seconds and have it set to throw two times a day,the four bags should last you about a month. One 9 volt battery (Energizer, don't get Eveready) should last the whole season.You will probably go through two in a years time if you feed year round.Make sure you check your regulations for removing the corn before turkey season opens. In Louisiana, all corn or other feed must be removed no less than 15 days prior to opening day. Turkey hunting over corn can get you in big trouble. Deer hunting over corn is okay for most of the south, but ther are a few southern states where that is even illegal.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:30 AM
Typical Buck

Yea in Georgia it's illegal to hunt within 200 yards or within sight of the bait unless the bait has been completely removed for at least 10 days. The feeder should be delivered by Wednesday of next week so I'll probably get it out there next Saturday. That will give it almost 2 months before turkey season starts March 22. Then as soon as turkey season is over I'll set it back up until deer season. I'm guessing that's the way most do it. I had almost bought one from my local store Tuesday but decided to get reviews on it and found that it wasn't that good. It was an On Time Fat Boy. The price was great $89 but the reviews of it were terrable. The one I ordered was the American Hunter HR-225 Tripod Feeder Combo it seemed like the way to go. It came with the battery, a solar charger, and the varmint buster. It wasn't too pricey $135 after shipping. It did cost me $45 more but I think I made a good choice. There are a LOT of tree rats around where I plan to put it and I hope they don't keep the deer from comming to it. I have a few deer on the land now but I havent seen any turkeys or turkey signs since I have been hunting there. Will the feeder be as effective pulling in turkeys? The reason I ask is if not I can just leave it up during turkey season and hunt my other land for turkeys and just use this spot for deer.