Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shooting fawns/yearlings

Old 01-16-2008, 07:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Shooting fawns/yearlings

Well I try not to shoot Fawns,not going to lose sleep if I do.I did shoot a Nub Buck this season because he was with a Doe,they was coming around a Log I was setting up next to,didn't have but a second and thought he was the Doe.But after I shot him I did try to shoot the Doe but she wouldn't come in my 30 yard range.

I've let Fawns walk to have someone else shoot them which is fine but I have seen people leave them lay which is stupid for one thing Tag only cost $7.

I know I would hate to be a Guy in Camp one time brought in a Fawn,put it on the scales 17 pounds.I was laughing told him I never killed a Turkey that small.

big rockpile
Old 01-16-2008, 07:57 PM

I don't shoot fawns because of shooting button bucks. But if a younger hunter shoots one so what. We all have to live and learn. In the past I shoot my share and it has made me a better hunter. To each his own if its legal and it makes you happy have at them.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:29 PM

there is nothing wrong with shooting fawns. i think its more wrong to shoot an old doe with twins or triplets. if you take one of her fawns your killing one deer. wher if you would kill the ol big doe then she wont be able to have twins or triplets the next year. and as far as processing goes. do it yourself. a fawn doesn't take taht long. we can have one completely done in an hour
Old 01-16-2008, 09:30 PM
Spike

I guess you were referring to the fawn that I shot with my bow and couldn't find. She had a big doe and another fawn with her also and I chose the fawn over the big doe. That old doe will more than likely spit out twins next year which is a lot more than the fawn would produce.

j'm sure you "trophy hunters" would be appauled at the thought of shooting a fawn. Not me though because they are the best eating deer in the woods. Say what you want, but you can't eat antlers fellas.

Now if I have the chance to shoot a big buck or a fawn, obviously I will shoot the buck but then again who in there right mind wouldn't?
Old 01-18-2008, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

We try to leave the fawns but yearlings are definitely fair game. Our gang is not too worried about trophies and we are more concerned about the meat. But all in the gang know what tags we have for antlered and antlerless so fawns are fair game too. The deer population is strong so every deer that we can legally shoot is fair game.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 01-18-2008, 11:19 PM

Personly I do not shoot them because for the amount of meat you get it just does not seem worth the time it takes to butcher them, and form a management standpoint if it's a nubby you are taking a potential trophy out of your heard. But to each his own.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't shoot fawns.Our deer population is not that high and typically our winters have not been that difficult.In area's that get significant amounts of snow and severe cold,fawns are most suseptable to winter mortality.I have read a number of biologists work that states that they believe it logical to target the youngest/weakest because of their greater likelihood of mortality.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Lets get a few things straight here. Fawns and Big bucks are your first deer to die in a very stressful winter. The bucks are so wore out from chasing doe's around for the last 2 months that they don't have any body fat on them anymore, thus they don't always make it through the winter, same as fawns! Shooting fawns don't bother me one bit. I've shot my share but I will not shoot a button buck, if there's any dought on what it is I won't be pulling the bow back in case of it being a button buck. I always try picking out an old looking doe that has no fawns or that only has one, I figure thats a good one to get rid of! If I'm not having any luck towards years end a doe fawns going to get zipped if the shot presents itself. I read in a post that someone says trophy hunters would be appalled at shooting a fawn, thats BS! I'm not a guy who has P@Y bucks hanging all over on his walls but I will not take a buck 125" and under and I shoot fawns!! Your way off Seth!!
Old 01-20-2008, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

In FL you must be awarded a Doe permit (no matter what size) and Bucks have to display spikes 5" above the hair line (no matter what size)....
that is true in most cases....here comes the but, lol....on a Tosohatchee, if they shoot a buck under 5'' they are counted as the doe as your permit.....i know, it is a crock, a male deer should be counted as a male and a female should be counted as a female, but thats not how it works...
As far as shooting fawns/yearlings ...there is no way....it may be legal, but it's not ethical in my eyes.....i passed 5 up this year and i went meatless, but i am totally fine with it....
the only issue i have with shooting doe fawns/yearlings is the fact that they are babies, plain and simple....the main reason i'm against shooting fawnsyearlingsis the misidentification of young bucks .....
one way to tell the difference between the young buck and a doe is the does head is more rounded between the ears, the bucks are flat......
and you know , if youre meatless and thats the only shot you have all year, do what you have too, but when someone has 3 deer in the freezer and 186 BC buck on the wall from the year before, well thats just killing to kill in my eyes....my sister BF did that this year and i told him how i felt, he didnt like it and we're still not talking,but i won't set my beliefs to the side just to make him happy....he shot a 39 lb. fawn after having a buttload of meat in his freezer....just pisses me off .......[:@]
Old 01-20-2008, 07:27 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: huntnma

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

In FL you must be awarded a Doe permit (no matter what size) and Bucks have to display spikes 5" above the hair line (no matter what size)....
that is true in most cases....here comes the but, lol....on a Tosohatchee, if they shoot a buck under 5'' they are counted as the doe as your permit.....
Casey, sure would like to see in black & whitewhat you're stating?.........Tosahatchee

Quick Reply: Shooting fawns/yearlings

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.