Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shooting fawns/yearlings

Old 01-16-2008, 05:52 AM

Default RE: Shooting fawns/yearlings

ORIGINAL: Robert L E

We hunt in Southern Iowa. Deer are cosidered to be overpopulated and each of these counties has an antlerless tag quota. These tags are sold until they run out on a first come first serve basis. As far as I know, the county that I hunt in has never sold out.

I hunt on my cousin's farms and deer damage to his crops is a concern to him. My boy and I always buy doe tags and hold the any sex tag in reserve for a shooter buck. Half of the deer in the field in the fall are fawns and about half the deer we shoot are fawns. Keep in mind that deer here usually are pregnant before they are a year old. If you shoot a doe fawn there are two fewer deer the next year. If you shoot an older doe there are three fewer deer the next year because they nearly always have twins. The only deer I would pass on would be a young buck. Two reasons for this, males do not get pregnant, and it is nice to shoot that little buck when it is older. Of the nine deer we processed this year, two were nice bucks, one was a small buck one was a spike, one was a button (fawn), one was an adult doe, one a yearling doe, and two were fawn does. The spike and button were thought to be does when shot.

I'm thinking of requiring the guys that I hunt with to buy doe tags. They cannot hunt on my cousin's farm unless my son or I am with them so I can if I wish. This will encourage more doe and fawn shooting which will please my cousin and will cause them to be more selective in the bucks they shoot. Since the state started actively encouraging doe shooting by selling doe tags, we see more and bigger bucks than we used to even though deer numbers are down slightly.

I personally think that a hunter who shoots the first deer that walks by in an anysex hunt does more good than a hunter who shoots bucks only. The non selective hunter shoots more fawns and does so the average buck ends up being larger. You are part of the problem if you only shoot bucks in an area that is overpopulated. I'm beginning to like the idea that you must shoot a doe or antlerless buck before you can even get a buck tag.

I don't care if a novice or kid shoots a small buck because success if what hooks them but now that all but one in my group have shot a nice buck I am going to expect them to pass on small bucks and take antlerless deer or bigger bucks.

My brother in law who just started hunting with us is exempted because he has never shot a deer.

Again, the area we hunt is considered to be over populated with deer. When you wish to expand a deer population, a bucks only attitude is more appropriate.

Bambi must die.

Bob
I absolutely 100% agree with everything you say. True around here too. We raise crops and there are too many deer. We HAVE to keep the population in check and that means shooting the first deer that gives an opportunity most of the time. But like the above post, I let the young bucks walk because they are much more fun to watch and shoot when they are bigger. If I know for sure a fawn isa button buck I'll let it walk too, but I don't get hung about shooting them if a mistake is made. I've heard that at least 50-60% of the doe fawns will breed around here. Soas stated above, shooting a doe fawn takes 2 deer out of next year's population. AND it's good eating too! I have 0% problem with shooting fawns.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:54 AM
Dominant Buck

In FL you must be awarded a Doe permit (no matter what size) and Bucks have to display spikes 5" above the hair line (no matter what size).... Except the Key deer which is protected by the state Ban...
Old 01-16-2008, 07:02 AM
Typical Buck

I have no problem shooting a fawn in December or January with my bow, they've gain a decent amount of weight and usually you can tell the doe fawnsfrom the buck fawns (with a binocular)since the buttons are starting to show.

Don't care what others say, fawn meat is more tender than an older deer, why do you thinkwefatten and butcher calves but on oldersteers we just grind up the meat? Because as an animal ages, the meat naturally gets tougher. That's just common sense.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Fawns are legal where I live, but I usually avoid them. However, if the season isn't going well and my freezer is low I won't rule them out. A yearling is fair game to me, dumb meat tastes just as good as smart.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:51 AM

I agree with the posts about butchering. It takes almost as much time to butcher a fawn as a big deer, and you get about half the meat. Having said that, fawn is tender and delicious. I've shot a lot of fawns, and will shoot more. Certain circumstances I'll pass, but if a slam dunk kill shot is presented, and there are no bigger deer present, I'll usually take it. I usually won't attemt a difficult shot at a fawn or smaller deer. Thecontents of my freezer and my tag holder also have a bearing on the decision.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dontshoot a lot of fawns, i usually have enough time to wait for a bigger doe or decent buck to show up.However I take a lot of kids and new hunters out, sometimes for thier first deer, and have no problem with shooting fawns, Id certainly never tell them not to if its what they want to shoot.Besides, the little ones drag easier
Old 01-16-2008, 12:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I try and wait until late season to Shoot Doe fawns! I have no problem shooting them, they are good eating. We have a lot of deer in my area and the first 2 Doe tags are free then $2.00 after that! If I can't tell if its a Doe or Buck fawn I won't shoot!
Old 01-16-2008, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

I have shot a couple for the simple fact that sometimes you can't tell the difference.. Our camp discourages it by having a 70lb rule. Just to keep from accindentally shooting a nubbing buck..
Old 01-16-2008, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

I was curious as to what everyones thoughts were. This was my first season and have seen quite a few yearlings. Like I said my buddy/mentor discourages it I am assuming for the the reason that it is hard to tell bucks from does. I accidentally shot a nub buck, my first deer in fact. Because he was by himself it was hard tell how big he was. I felt bad about it afterward but learned a valuable lesson about deer behavior. Buck yearlings tend to travel alone and don't have the "rump" if you will that does get. I applied that later when I saw two deer together and took the larger...which was a nice size doe that was about 130lbs...so..I like to consider that my first deer. We have a liberal deer season...3 antlerless a day...
Old 01-16-2008, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

The easiest way to tell for me is the yearlings will have a triangular head..

Quick Reply: Shooting fawns/yearlings

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.