Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

new to the sport

Old 02-02-2003, 10:00 AM

Default new to the sport

hello everyone! next season will be my first time hunting, i will be going with some friends who dont have to much expierence themselves, the only rifles i have ever used is a 22 for targets and an m16a2 any advice on what type of rifle i should use as a beginner and any other deer hunting advice anyone could give me would be very helpful

thanx for any help
Old 02-02-2003, 10:12 AM

Default RE: new to the sport

For a rifle, anything above 243 in caliber will be fine for deer and all of them will kill with the same intensity. However you must find one that fits you and feels good. Then you must spend time at the range becoming comfortable and familiar with the weapon.

for advice on deer....WOW what a question Spend time in the woods now and as often as possible prior to the opener. Start by looking for trails around edges (where 2 types of terrain come together) and at low spots in creeks. Sooner or later you will start seeing small patterns where deer have been and where they seem to spend more time. After you find their trails, start looking for food sources. This can be as large or as simple of a task as you want it to be. Acorn trees of all types will feed deer when dropping. All types of agriculture will draw deer. All types of browse will draw deer. Walk the trails you find and see what is on or near them as far as food. Then start looking for ways for you to set up downwind of those areas.

Keep up these basic patterns and you will start finding deer. After you learn the woodmanship skills, you will begin to refine your tactics.

Go though this and other forums for already printed advice. There is a lot help already waiting for you.

Welcome to the world of the hunter! Glad to have you. Please be ethical and safe.

Jim

Visit me on the Web...
http://www.huntinginga.com
Old 02-02-2003, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

You didn't say how old or big you are, so it is hard to recommend a specific caliber. If you are small and are recoil shy, I would probably start with a 243 and shoot 100 grain bullets. If you can handle recoil pretty well, I would recomend trying someone's 270 and if it feels ok, go with that and shoot 130 grain bullets. Remington offers core-lokt bullets for both of these and can be obtained cheaply at any Wal-mart, etc. These bullets are generally accurate and do well on deer. I would recomend a bolt action rifle.

The one other think I would recommend is: DO NOT SKIMP ON GOOD BOOTS OR LONGJOHNS. If you buy cheap boots and cotton longjohns you will not be able to sit still on a cold day and will be miserable. Get boots with Gore Tex (I have Rocky boots and they are not cheap, but are reasonable). I have patagonia long johns from REI and I love them. The important thing for long johns is that they are good at wicking moisture away from your body because no matter how cold it is, you will sweat when you walk. Those with cotton simply get wet and hold moisture against your skin which makes you COLD. Also, use a wicking sock liner under wool socks. If your feet sweat and the moisture stays against your feet, they will get cold regardless of how good your boots are.

Getting a good pair of boots, good socks, and good long johns will set you back about $200. Quite a bit, but if you are sitting on a stand freezing you will think it is cheap and will not enjoy your hunting experience.

Only other recommendation. Practice shooting, practice shooting, practice shooting.

Good luck.

Edited by - txhunter58 on 02/02/2003 11:26:54
Old 02-02-2003, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Demogod..Welcome to the board and welcome to our sport. Huntinginga gave some very good advice. We could spend hours answering your questions, but my advice would be to talk with veteran hunters in your area, especially those folks in the sporting stores and members of your local gun clubs. It would also benefit you to start reading up on the subject of deer hunting from a number of reputable publications. Also invest time watching videos which focus on whitetail deer, their behaviors and specific techniques in hunting them under different conditions and different areas of the country/province....Good Luck...Jimmy S

Old 02-02-2003, 02:07 PM

Welcome to the sport of deer hunting. I've been hunting for over 30 years and every year I seem to learn something new. I guess that's one of the things I love about the sport. I have to agree with txhunter about the good boots and clothing. I see you are from NY. I to hunt NY every year and some years the weather can be very miserable. So don't skimp on buying quality apparel. You may pay a little more for it now but I have found that it will generaly last longer and make your experience afield more enjoyable.

Another very important piece of advise I would like to give you is, get a copy of your game laws, and study them from cover to cover. While its ok to ask a buddy or hunting partner for advise or tips, when it comes to the laws, make darn sure. Over the years I have seen many times when one hunter would interpret or "think" a game law meant one thing when it in fact meant something altogether different. As you study these laws, if there is something you are not sure of, call your game commission and ask them to clarify what it is you may be confused on. They are more than willing to help.

As far as a rifle choice. First of all make sure that rifles are legal in the area that you are planning to hunt. In NY. you have areas that are open only to shotgun or archery. The last thing you want to do is get caught in a shotgun area hunting with a rifle. This would not be a good way to start off your hunting carreer. As far as what caliber rifle to use, I would have to agree with huntinginga and say that anything .243 or larger would be fine. If whitetail deer in NY. is going to be all that you hunt with the rifle, I would stay away from the magnum calibers. In my opinion, of course this my opinion and it is not meant to offend anyone, for deer they are over kill. Not to mention the abuse they can give the person shooting them. My preference is the 30.06. This is a good all around caliber with many different cartridges available. In the event that you would one day like to hunt bear, mule deer, elk, or just about any North American big game, you could do so with the 30.06. If you are going to hunt an area that is shotgun. Then I would recommend a 12 ga., however there are many deer killed each year with 20 and 16 ga. shtguns as well. It's a matter of personel preference.

I hope this helps, and if there are any other questions or concerns that you may have, I'm sure that anyone of us vetern hunters would be glad to help you out.

God Bless & Good Hunting
LM/NAHC
Member NRA
Member P&Y CLUB
Member QDMA
Member Ducks Unlimited
Old 02-02-2003, 02:27 PM

hey all thx for the good advice i do know exactly what you all are saying about the cold that is all we do up here is cold weather training so i got that part down to a T, about the rifle advice thx i am small ( 5'3" ) as far as recoil shy i dont know like i said the only rifle i really only shot is an m16 wich has very little recoil i think i will check out the 243 and see how that suits me so again thx all.