Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New to the Sport >

New to the Sport

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New to the Sport

Old 10-17-2008, 05:28 PM

Default New to the Sport

Hi,

I am James, in my 40's and just bought my first bow, used,less then three weeks ago. It is a Buck brand, of Buck knives fame, Sabre model compound bow which was made between 1999 and 2002. Was set at 70lb draw but I could not get it back, weakling here, so the man at the sporting goods store set it as low as it could go, about 42 lbs. I could pull that back but the limbs in no time popped out of their holder? so I had it reset at 50 lbs. Some say I will not be able to kill a deer at this draw weight, others say I should be ok out to 30 yards or so.I am sure the min. draw is about 55 or 60 lbs for this bow, is it ok to shoot at 50 pounds? I am using a mechanical release and afterabout 10or 15 draws I can barely get it back. What should I do? Also any tips on shooting a compound bow for a new shooter/hunter and on deer and squirrel/rabbit hunting would be much appreciated! I live in Knoxville Tennessee and hunt the WMA spotsaround here.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New to the Sport

You should be still good at 50lbs even with the older bow. Make sure your shooting a good broadhead, I would go with a magnus stinger or something. Next practice practice practice, You'll get stronger in time. Just make sure you are accurate and you'll be good. Make sure you have good arrow flight as well.

OH and PS
When I say accurate, I dont mean the idiots down at the range sayin i can hit a paper plate at 20 yards i'm good. I mean hitting a quarter at 30.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let me start by saying welcome. You only need to pull the bow back once to get a shot at a deer, maybe twice but don't count on that. You probably could shoot a deer at 50 but I personally wouldn't, your just asking for long tracking job in my opinion. I guess if that's your only choice I wouldn't shoot a deer any further than 25 yards till you know what its going to do at your poundage. I would try setting it at 60#, shoot 5 or 6 arrows then take a brake. Shoot again take a brake. My bow is set at around 65 to 68 with a max of 70#. Pulling it back is no problem for me, but after shooting 6 or so arrows my shoulder gets to sore, so I take a brake ( maybe an hour maybe later in the day )and will shoot again. I think once you get use to pulling it you will be able to turn it up. GL. just my opinion.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:43 PM

Hi 2droptime,

I had already got some Allen 125 grain broadheads but then somebody recommended 100 grainso I then got these, too me looks small, TI2 Extreme broadheads by Eastman. Those Allens look twice as big, the blades. With the draw I am at the chart on the arrows said I should be using 4560 where before I had 6075 not sure if this all really makes a difference. If I increase the draw weight I will go back to those.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

I agree go, 100gr for sure. Those broad heads should do ya. You could do worse thats for sure. Welcome to the sport. Tons of info here just keep readin you'll catch on and I'll be glad to help you out as much as i can. As for the arrow type, yes your arrows need to be spined correctly for the bow and poundage you are shooting in order to get good arrow flight. you'll get stronger as you practice so i would error on the side of a stiffer spine.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Jameshere

Hi,

I am James, in my 40's and just bought my first bow, used,less then three weeks ago. It is a Buck brand, of Buck knives fame, Sabre model compound bow which was made between 1999 and 2002. Was set at 70lb draw but I could not get it back, weakling here, so the man at the sporting goods store set it as low as it could go, about 42 lbs. I could pull that back but the limbs in no time popped out of their holder? so I had it reset at 50 lbs. Some say I will not be able to kill a deer at this draw weight, others say I should be ok out to 30 yards or so.I am sure the min. draw is about 55 or 60 lbs for this bow, is it ok to shoot at 50 pounds? I am using a mechanical release and afterabout 10or 15 draws I can barely get it back. What should I do? Also any tips on shooting a compound bow for a new shooter/hunter and on deer and squirrel/rabbit hunting would be much appreciated! I live in Knoxville Tennessee and hunt the WMA spotsaround here.

Welcome to the sport mate. And might i add im a first year bow hunter but have owned my bow for a year prior.
First i would like to say who ever told you that you cannot kill a deer with a 50# draw is a fool.
I have seen hunting videos about this and some women shoot 40# to 46# draw and take a deer.
With my bow i am a 50# draw using Carbon Express 250 Arrows shooting 231 Feet per second.
The bow shop i deal with told/showed me if i switch to the Bemin ICS arrow i would get more Feet per second. So i shot one he made up. My bow will shoot that arrow at 250 Feet per second.
The IMO of my bow is rated for 305 FPS. So i would say this is very good for my setup.

For getting tired after 10 or so arrows, you will get stronger pretty quick and be able to handle the draw better, the more you shoot the bow. Dont burn your arm out or anything, but take 30 seconds to a minute betweens shots to help you build up strengh in your arms.

Now for the funner part of it. I shot at my first animal this year and it was squirrels. In my backyard i feed them in the summer and when season is close i put corn in front of my bow target. This way you dont lose arrows hunting them. I dont know if your allowed to bait them in your state or not. But if you can i would use them to practice on after you can shoot pretty well in your target.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ah, Knoxville, the home of McGee-Tyson Air Base. Just a short 30 minutes from the Smokey Mountains! I have some fond memories of there. 50 pounds is more than enough to kill a deer. Practice every other day and lift weights on the days in between and you should be fine. If you are accurate with the number of shots you take each time, it only takes one arrow to kill a deer.

Good luck brother and welcome!
Old 10-17-2008, 06:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

mine is at 68 i can shoot about 15 times then my shoulder starts to hurt i know a guy who shoots everyday like 50 arrows. NOw he needs shoulder surgery. He has never hurt it it just started hurting one day.
I would think you would be good out to say 20 maybe 30 with 50 pounds I think indiana's law says atleast like 35 or 40 pounds

welcome good luck and stay safe
Old 10-17-2008, 07:22 PM

Hi Everybody,

I am very glad to learn that 50 lbs is in the ballpark to kill a deer even if only at 25 yards. And bigtime my hunting buddy who moved up here from Fla. had said something about 35 lbs draw weight being the legal minimum at least down there. We have not been able to find a legal min here in TN though in the hunting manual. Those 6075 arrows I first purchased Tomkat were also Carbon Express think Terminator Lites and Terminator Hunter and a Terminator models. These 4560 arrows are Whitetail and the box has a chart on them, with something called adjusted bow draw weight. Some of + or - points I did not understand like you are suppose toaddsomany poundsfor a high-engery bow and subtract pounds for a certain % let off? but going just by my 50 pound draw weight, I am in the 4560 arrow range. Maybe I got caught up too much in the importance of this since I think starting at 52 pounds I can switch to a 6075 arrow. My friend just uses aluminum arrows and had no problems. Yeah I guess weight lifting will be in my future. What do you all think of crossbow?easier to draw back to cock? I see they are now legal to use for hunting here the past few seasons.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

Welcome to the club. 50#'s is plenty to get a pass thru on a good broad sidded deer.wouldn't worry about that so much.With your arrows being 4560 and using a 100gr broad head you will do just fine out to 25-30 yrds. Being new to bow hunting if I were you I would keep my shots to 15-20 yrds, till you practice and get more comfy with your equiptment. There are alot of guys here that will give you great advice, then again there are also some nuckle heads who don't know the difference between an arrow and a 12 gauge. But thats just my opinion. Good luck and don't hesitate toask for help.

Quick Reply: New to the Sport

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.