Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

any one from maine

Old 01-09-2008, 12:28 PM

Default any one from maine

i was just wondering if there was any one from Northern Maine and if you know of some good hunting areas around here.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:53 AM
Banned

Default RE: any one from maine

Where in N.Me. are you talking about? And define "Good".
Northern Maine is known for large deer, not many deer. I've hunted Rangely, Pittston Farm and Katahdin Iron Works areas. Saw large deer taken in each area.

Regards, VTgao
Old 01-10-2008, 08:01 AM

im in the abbot, guilford area and my hunting area is getting thin. between high fences and other hunters my herd is wearing out.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:41 AM

im lookin for a descent chunk of land where i dont have to worry about houses and roads... 1 mile square maybe bigger...
Old 01-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Banned

Sam,
Head east to Milo, get on RT-11 and head north to Brownville and then into Brownville Jct. Go thru the Jct towards Millinockett. Just a couple of miles out for Brownville Jct. at Prairie you will find the sign on the left for Katahdin Iron works, head in that direction.
Back in the mid 90's I hunted up there two years in a row using a guide by the name of Chuck Lloyd, who operated out of his house just outside of Brownville Jct. If he is still in business I would suggest you call him (sorry I don't have his number handy). At the time he offered Guided, Semi-Guided hunts as well as just accomadations. Rates were extremely reasonable.
I started hunting with a different group of guys from work after that, hunting North of Moosehead lake, along the golden road. I do plan to hunt the Iron works area again someday.
Get a topo map of the Bowdin college / Katahdin Iron works area. The "EBEEMEE" topo covers this area. We hunted Baker, Elephant and Indian mountain areas.
Chuck guides for Bear, Deer and Moose. He works as a gate keeper for the paper co. so he is on the land alot.

Check it out.

VTgao
Old 01-10-2008, 06:05 PM

Hey thanx man thats awesome! the name sounds femiliar, Chuck Lloyde. ill look into it i have never been on a guided hunt. and i honestly dont think i will ever use a guide but brownville is a long drive from Parkman, Me... so i may use the lodging. i really appreciate your help... Thanx again
Old 01-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Banned

Sam,

Not a problem, I actually found a phone number for Seven Mnt. Guide service.
Chuck (207) 965-7101 or Mike (207) 965-8003.

Good luck...

VTgao