Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 callling deer in early season and rut? >

callling deer in early season and rut?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

callling deer in early season and rut?

Old 01-15-2008, 01:55 PM

Default RE: callling deer in early season and rut?

what is the rubber?
i need a call that will bring in bucks AND does.
i have some antlers how do i make rattling horns?
Old 01-15-2008, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

THE CALL I DESCRIBED IS FROM "HUNTERS SPECIALTIES" THE CALL IS CALLED "THE TRUE TALKER" IT MAKES ALL THE CALLS QUICKLY, YOUR FINGER MOVES UP AND BACK TO CHANGE FROM FAWN TO BUCK.

RATTLING HORNS.FIRST THING YOU EVER DO WITH RATTLING HORNS IS REMOVE THE BROW TINE, IT WILL HURT YOU BAD IF YOU DON'T REMOVE THIS FIRST. TRY NOT TO CUT ANYTHING ELSE ON THE ANTLERS. ALSO I LEARNED THE HARD WAY THIS YEAR ABOUT TIEING STRING TO BOTH ENDS. EITHER YOU DRILL A HOLE THROUGH IT AND LOOP THE STRING THROUGH OR TIE IT REAL TIGHT. I LOST A BIG BUCK THIS YEAR CAUSE I COULDN'T PUT MY ANTLERS DOWN FAST ENOUGH AND PICK UP MY BOW. WHEN YOU ARE IN THE RUT AND YOU RATTLE, BE PREPARED TO STOP AS SOON AS YOU START, ABOUT HALF THE TIME THEY WILL SPRINT IN ON YOU IN A COUPLE SECONDS, OTHER TIMES IT TAKES THEM A WHILE TO MOSEY YOUR WAY. ALSO WITH RATTLING HORNS, I WILL DEBATE AGAINST OTHERS THAT THE BIGGER THE HORNS THE BETTER, ALL ANTLERS DO WORK THOUGH. I USE RACKS IN SIZE FROM 130-170" THEY MAKE A VERY LOUD BASE SOUND THAT ECO'S A LOT FURTHER.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:07 PM

so what in what sequence of calling should i use?
Old 01-15-2008, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

here are some examples that i use sometimes:

estrous doe bleat wait a minute then tending buck grunt (grunt rapidly with short choppy breaks) not too loud though. wait a minute, grunt-snort wheese and quickly start smacking the horns together to emulate a big buck battle.

when casual doe grunting, i sometimes see a deer and test its reaction to a doe grunt. if random calling i will do it about every 20 minutes.

when doing a rub: i do some grunting every 3-6 seconds and i tear up a branch with one or 2 antlers, sometimes kicking leaves to and making a racket. be careful though i have had too many deer sneak in as they will narrow your position down perfectly. you will inevitably get busted doing this, it is a very aggressive move. also the problem with this is that young bucks are so receptive to this that they usually come in, if you don't want to shoot, he warns the woods of your presence.

one thing you always want to remember is that deer have great hearing, you will be supprised how well they will pick up the lightest grunt. i have sat and listened to groups of does talking to their fawns and i was sitting 10 yards away, i could only barely hear them as each grunt and bleat was under their breath.

that is my main sequences, you don't need much more than that, just improve on what you hear. if you want to hear some of these sequences do a search on line for deer calling, i have found a lot of sites when i started calling that gave me an idea of what i was supposed to sound like.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

one other thing that i like to do when rattling, i keep my grunter in my mouth and grunt as i breathe.