Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

baiting tips for deer?

Old 01-22-2008, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: baiting tips for deer?

at brubaker grain in collinsville ohio it is only $7.00 for 50 lbs.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:06 PM

yeah molasses works well too.
i used corn and mixed in buck jam and it worked great
Old 01-23-2008, 04:07 PM

Yesterday we drove drove to our two food plots to checkout whst signs we would find 22jan food getting low and the tracks unbelivable; they are comming from many directions. We picked up another 17 bsl of carrots had to get full size ones @ $12. One bin would = about 800 lb. We go to commercial growers to get these deals. If I get a trail camers for my 64th Bday Feb 23 I will be sending real Proof we are sot feeding large sheep!
Old 01-24-2008, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your using corn to get pics - string out corn over a 10-15-20 yrds. Piling it up only promotes mould! Place the corn where the deer feel safe, around cover and escape routes.Crush a few apples (my favorite) in it for scent.

More deer will come and feed if corn is spread out in a string in 2-3 areas.1-2 dominant Doe will fight off an entire yard to hog a pile of corn!
Old 01-24-2008, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

We 'bait' on our property. i dont really view it as baiting, more as supplemental feeding. We have one feeder centrally located on the property with corn mixed with some Antler King. We have two supplement locations where we feed during the offseason as well. Mainly Antler King pellets, apples, old bread and what not. Try to shy away from corn cause it negatively effects their digestive system. When March rolls around and they really need the protein we use Whitetail Insitute's 30.06 plus proetin and use that all the way up to the season, they really love that.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:05 AM

dump it on the ground
Old 01-25-2008, 05:54 AM

baiting can work very similar to a food plot,if located along edges of cover,the more open the area,the less likely they will visit during daylight hours.food natural to the area makes the most sense,in our area applesget the best action,and gets similar action to afood plot orfarmland.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:38 AM
Typical Buck

I've used mineral licks and they work prety well. Next week I'm putting up a feeder. Now my land is COVERED with acorns so the deer have a ton to eat. How they will react to to the feeder will be interesting to see. As for the licks I just put them out to see if anything was there. I had to take it up before season of course. I guess my next investment should be a good trail cam.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:40 AM
Bartender

Maybe in your neck of the woods. You put a corn pile in Northern Wisconsin where there are no corn fields you will indeed attract plenty of deer and from far away.
Its like the rut in the bigwoods these deer have to go far for everything.
ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

Baiting is not a majic fix. Contrary to popular belief, it is not a magnet either! If you have not scouted out a good area, bait will not draw the deer from far away. Also, If there are preferred foodslike acorns on the ground, you are better off hunting the natural foods rather than a feeder.So, just putting a feeder or bait pile out won't accomplish much.
I find a good travel area that the deer are already usingand set up a feeder in the area.
Lots of times I use a little corn on the ground or a 2 liter coke bottle full of corn on narrow crossings, just to get them to stop long enough for a shot!
Old 01-25-2008, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

My best tip is "don't do it!". Illegal here in NY. No, go ahead and enjoy yourself. We just don't have the option here.

Quick Reply: baiting tips for deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.