Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

[Deleted]

Old 01-30-2003, 08:37 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-30-2003, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer Jerkey recipes?

You should try this on the cooking forum they always have a lot of people that will help you with Jerky recipes . Your soy sause is possible where your salt is coming from in your jerky.
Old 01-31-2003, 07:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Soy sauce contains alot of sodium,are you using it straight or cutting it with water or my favorite a good lager.

Go google and do a search on Venison Jerky recipes hundreds will come up. I'd give you mine but I don't measure anything.

Old 01-31-2003, 10:32 AM
Dominant Buck

I use about a half cup of soy, teaspoon of black peper, teaspoon salt, half teaspoon of ground ginger, teaspoon of garlic powder, teaspoon of onion powder, and two tablespoons of brown sugar. Makes great jerkey. That is if you like it a little sweat. Its not too sweat.

I also make it with worcestershire, liquid smoke, salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder. Good flavor, if you dont like the sweater jerkey.

I smoke mine over mesquite chips for 3 to 4 hours, depending on the thickness.

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" Martin Luther King Jr.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:01 AM
Typical Buck

I slice it thin and marinate it in equal parts soy sauce, white sugar and brown sugar. I also add a bit of Tabasco on occasion. Marinate for a couple of hours - 3-4 - anything longer will be too salty.

Lay the strips on a dehydrator and give them a heavy coat of pepper before turning it on and let it go for about 8 hours or until it a good consistency (you'll have to learn through trial and error when to recognize when it's done).

My kids eat this stuff by the pound.
Old 01-31-2003, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is my worlds record AMF (Almost Famous) jerky recipe.
1/2 cup soy
1/4 cup worchester sause
1/4 cup liqiod smoke
some A-1 steak sauce
1/2 tsp of salt
1 tsp or so of Crushed red pepper

Marinate for 2 days and roll it around from time to time.
If you use a dyhydrater, the meat must be cut consistantly the same width 1/8" + or - or it may dry at a different rate. It usually takes 12 to 18 hrs but make sure that you don't over dry it out, cause it all does not dry out at the same time and good luck, Bobby
Old 01-31-2003, 08:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah you need the liquid smoke and some brown sugar, with the soy and worchester for jerky IMO. When ever you marinade you should remember: salt, acid, sweet and then whatever your tastes are. A trick if you over cook, make another batch and under cook, put all together and they will offset. Much like brown sugar (hard) and bread (soft). Just a tip.

You know I have been using dry jerky mix and cure for the first time this year. It is pretty easy and tastes great to boot (not to mention less messy). I have been using the High Country Brand of Jerky mix and cure, my favs are hickory, mesquite & cracked pepper and garlic.

Old 02-01-2003, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the LOW sodium soy sauce.Jerky seems to have less salty taste.

I just made 2 batches of jerky in dehydrator.I let it dry a bit too long.

You can Rehydrate jerky by pouring just enough boiling water over meat to cover it.Cover the pan and let it simmer 10-15 minutes.

I don't have steamer but should work better than covering meat in water.

Edited by - aj52 on 02/01/2003 10:28:41