Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Obsessed with Deer!

Old 12-11-2007, 11:18 AM

Default Obsessed with Deer!

I grew up squirrel, dove, and quail hunting with my dad (he quit deer hunting when I was an infant due the loss of his best friend in a deer hunting-related accident). It wasn't until I was a teenager that I became curious about deer hunting because a lot of my friends were doing it. He finally went out and bought me my first deer rifle--a Marlin 30-30 scoped with a Tasco fixed 4x32.

My first trip was with my dad to a friends farm. I did not see any deer on that trip butI became infactuated with deer and deer hunting. I killed my first deer in 1997 at the age of 26. It was a button buck, honestly thought it was a doe and did not determine it was a buck until we had already hung him to dress. I killed my second deer exactly one month later. I have almost killed at least one deer every year since, including my first wall-hanger three years ago (8-pt. with 5-inch droptine on the left, estimated age at 5 1/2 years old, field dressed at 130 lbs. which is probably above average weight for the state of Alabama.).

I now have a library of some 10 or more books directly related to Whitetail whether it be from a hunting, biological, ecological, or management perspective. I am a member of QDMA and have keep current with subsriptions to Notrh American Whitetail, Deer and Deer Hunting, Whitetail Journal, and Hunt Club Digest. I have kept every magazine I have ever purchased or received. My wife accuses me of being addicted/posessed with deer and hunting. My reply is that it's better than most other people's addictions such as infedility, alcohol, drugs, abuse, etc.

Is there anyone else out there that shares my "obsession"? If so, I would like to hear about it.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:31 AM

Default RE: Obsessed with Deer!

I'm right there with you Mossy, 90% of my day is spent thinking about it.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:40 AM

Truth rings from your signature.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

Yep, count me in, too.

Starting January first I am looking forward to October again and live, eat, breathe and sleep thinking about deer.

I have a friend that is in the same boat. (er - tree stand)

I'm not sure that I want to be cured of the addiction - EVER!
Old 12-11-2007, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

im addicted also i live my dreaming about hunting and all its contents i love it!!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 05:43 PM
Typical Buck

well i guess so,i haven't worked but 3 days sense the 1st of october
Old 12-11-2007, 05:43 PM

I guess that I'm pretty fortunate in that I have access to deer hunting rougly four-and-a-half months out of the year. I live in Alabama, and our bow season came in this year on October 13th and gun season came in on the 17th of November. The both of them run through the end of January. I just haven't been able to be out int he woods yet this year (birth of my third son was this past Thursday and the wife convinced me that being at my hunting club two hours away was not a good idea...I'm smart enough to know which battles to pick).

I was raised in the panhandle of Florida (Northwest Florida) in farming country where we can hunt through February.

The rest of my year--outside of caoching youth baseball--is spent on preparation for the next season. This coming off-season will be the best. I plan getting my 6-yo son a small caliber deer rifle (.223 or .243)and start letting him shoot at the range and getting him ready for next year. At his age, he knows more about whitetailed deer than some people that have hunted a lifetime. I'm so excited.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Count me in too! I grew up duck hunting and got turned on to deer at the age of 20! It's been 32 years now,that I haven't been duck hunting!
Old 12-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

There are many that share the addiction!! My addition isn't so much for one critter but for variety!
Old 12-11-2007, 06:31 PM

LOL I AM AN IM ONLY 15. ITS HARD TO BE CRAZY ABOUT HUNTING WHEN YOU GROW UP IN A NON-HUNTING FAMILY I GOTTA SAY

Quick Reply: Obsessed with Deer!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.