HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Obsessed with Deer!
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Mossy_71

Default Obsessed with Deer!

I grew up squirrel, dove, and quail hunting with my dad (he quit deer hunting when I was an infant due the loss of his best friend in a deer hunting-related accident). It wasn't until I was a teenager that I became curious about deer hunting because a lot of my friends were doing it. He finally went out and bought me my first deer rifle--a Marlin 30-30 scoped with a Tasco fixed 4x32.

My first trip was with my dad to a friends farm. I did not see any deer on that trip butI became infactuated with deer and deer hunting. I killed my first deer in 1997 at the age of 26. It was a button buck, honestly thought it was a doe and did not determine it was a buck until we had already hung him to dress. I killed my second deer exactly one month later. I have almost killed at least one deer every year since, including my first wall-hanger three years ago (8-pt. with 5-inch droptine on the left, estimated age at 5 1/2 years old, field dressed at 130 lbs. which is probably above average weight for the state of Alabama.).

I now have a library of some 10 or more books directly related to Whitetail whether it be from a hunting, biological, ecological, or management perspective. I am a member of QDMA and have keep current with subsriptions to Notrh American Whitetail, Deer and Deer Hunting, Whitetail Journal, and Hunt Club Digest. I have kept every magazine I have ever purchased or received. My wife accuses me of being addicted/posessed with deer and hunting. My reply is that it's better than most other people's addictions such as infedility, alcohol, drugs, abuse, etc.

Is there anyone else out there that shares my "obsession"? If so, I would like to hear about it.