Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 advice for hunting beaver ponds >

advice for hunting beaver ponds

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

advice for hunting beaver ponds

Old 12-11-2007, 05:17 AM
Spike

Default advice for hunting beaver ponds

Our property is primarily either in the rut or in between ruts. I have found an area with two beaver ponds maybe 40yds apart and not more than 200 yards from a paved road. the ponds are adjacent to acres of pine with only scattered hardwoods. the main trail seems to parallel the pines on the edge of the swamp/ponds. There are rub lines on the trail. I have set up about 40 yards into the pines facing west, which is directly into the swamp/ponds. Does anyone have a lot of experience hunting beaver ponds? I will have a north wind which would blow across my face and down the pines in the am. My only concern is that I am not sure where the nearest food source is. Lots of weeds around the ponds, but acorns did not fare well this year. However, it is evident that deer are using the area. IT is also very remote and on the fringe area of our property. There has been cosiderable pressure on our land this year. Give me your thoughts on this area and my set up? Good Place to decoy and call in deer or set up and see which are their natural travel routes? Thanks for your input. Also would a North or East wind hurt my set-up in the morning?
Old 12-11-2007, 06:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: advice for hunting beaver ponds

A good safe bedding area is just as good as a food source. If you can set up in a couple of diffeerent points for various winds do so, but if the wind isn't right stay out of there.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:29 AM
Spike

Default RE: advice for hunting beaver ponds

Timbercruiser,

Thanks for the reply. The wind is actually my delima. I am set up facing west which over looks the ponds and a main trail running east-west. I have pines on both sides and behind me. I cannot guess which way the deer enter the pond area's. However, the rub line appears to be made by deer moving east to west, which would be left to right in front of me. Given this setup, what winds do you think would be OK to hunt the area? I am running out of time on my rut. On frdiay, we are supposed to have north winds and east winds on Saturday.

Thanks