Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 advice for hunting beaver ponds >

advice for hunting beaver ponds

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

advice for hunting beaver ponds

Old 12-11-2007, 05:18 AM
Spike

Default advice for hunting beaver ponds

Our property is primarily either in the rut or in between ruts. I have found an area with two beaver ponds maybe 40yds apart and not more than 200 yards from a paved road. the ponds are adjacent to acres of pine with only scattered hardwoods. the main trail seems to parallel the pines on the edge of the swamp/ponds. There are rub lines on the trail. I have set up about 40 yards into the pines facing west, which is directly into the swamp/ponds. Does anyone have a lot of experience hunting beaver ponds? I will have a north wind which would blow across my face and down the pines in the am. My only concern is that I am not sure where the nearest food source is. Lots of weeds around the ponds, but acorns did not fare well this year. However, it is evident that deer are using the area. IT is also very remote and on the fringe area of our property. There has been cosiderable pressure on our land this year. Give me your thoughts on this area and my set up? Good Place to decoy and call in deer or set up and see which are their natural travel routes? Thanks for your input
Old 12-11-2007, 05:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: advice for hunting beaver ponds

Don't drown.

LoL...Good hunting esp. when the deer get pressured. Look for the tiniest of islands and watch for the slightest movement in the grass.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:58 AM

Ya'll ever read a thread title and literally bite your fingers off to keep from saying anything???
Old 12-11-2007, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobow

Ya'll ever read a thread title and literally bite your fingers off to keep from saying anything???
Yeah, I came real close!!
Old 12-11-2007, 08:17 AM

I don't know whats so funny about the question. mobow, if you watch our video next spring you will see that I do 80% of my hunting in areas such as this in Canada. Its huge woods and an extremely effective area to hunt.....

But I do have one question....are the ponds dry, or do they have water in them?
Old 12-11-2007, 08:25 AM
Spike

Dan,

The ponds both have water and we are in an extreme drought. With the main trail running east and west, I have a set up facing west which is overlooking the trails (with an active rub line) and both ponds. There is a public hiway around 200 yards past the ponds. I guess my main question is which wind would be best to hunt the ponds? Thanks for your help
Old 12-11-2007, 08:26 AM

ORIGINAL: _Dan

I don't know whats so funny about the question. mobow, if you watch our video next spring you will see that I do 80% of my hunting in areas such as this in Canada. Its huge woods and an extremely effective area to hunt.....

Sorry Dan, no disrespect. My laughter has NOTHING to do w/ hunting, just take the question at face value and forget that it's about hunting.....

What video are you referring to? I would love to pick one up.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:49 AM

ORIGINAL: cknails

Dan,

The ponds both have water and we are in an extreme drought. With the main trail running east and west, I have a set up facing west which is overlooking the trails (with an active rub line) and both ponds. There is a public hiway around 200 yards past the ponds. I guess my main question is which wind would be best to hunt the ponds? Thanks for your help
I am also assuming you are hunting big woods here......

First, I belive its too late to do much decoying very effectively. If there is any tall dry grass around the pond, it could be a major bedding area. I have walked with feet of deer in these areas, only to have them sneek away or run just as I got past them.

From my experience, you can hunt a beaver pond with almost any wind...though I cannot see your exact setup. (I'm not real good at deciphering text in my head and drawing a mental picture) From what I have noticed, deer will use the upwind side of the pond when they are in it. If the wind is from the North, they will be on the north side, east, east side.....They do this so they can smell whats in the wood upwind and see what is in the open areas downwind.

I have also found that deer love to use the dams. There tends to be a lot of thistles growing on them and they eat the tops that are full of seeds. They also use the dams as a travel corridor.....almost like a funnel because its wet on one side and dry on the other.

I hope this helps, I know I missed a lot. Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Dan
Old 12-11-2007, 08:53 AM

ORIGINAL: _Dan

Sorry Dan, no disrespect. My laughter has NOTHING to do w/ hunting, just take the question at face value and forget that it's about hunting.....

What video are you referring to? I would love to pick one up.
LOL, no biggie mobow. I knew what you meant. Besides, I'm a pretty tough guy to offend.

As for the video, I started filming with Joey Rott (kshunter) this fall and have had a blast doing it. It should be some great stuff, especially now that Troy (shed33) had joined us. I'm really excited about the future..... www.rutjunkie.com