Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

"Going" in the woods

Old 08-30-2009, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use a gatorade bottle...I think 24oz...does the job for all day on stand, once up, once down.

Has a bigger top/opening, which some of us require...
Old 08-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

As a long time member of the Wild Bear club, I don't think urine affects deer at all. I'm not sure about taking a crap out there, but I don't think they would go whacko about it. I thought the thread was going to be about the what if you gotta go and don't have any Charmin with you. I usually have 4 or so sheets of Bounty paper towels for those emergencies and also if I have to mark a blood trail. If I forget the Bounty a handful of long grass folded in half works well, and Longleaf pine needles folded in half will substitute.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by waiting_for_a_gift
For me, it's a huge problem. More than 50% of the time, especially on morning hunts, I have to go (duce) as soon as I get set up.
I bet the deer are watching you get in your stand just "waiting for a gift".
Old 08-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gypsybill
About two weeks ago I arrived not feeling too well for the opening day of gun season in Oklahoma. Well, it turned into one of the worst bouts of diaherrea (oklahoma spelling) I have ever had. The only reason I didn't go straight home was that I had a hunting buddy with me and I didn't want to ruin his opening day. I was so sick that eventually I was justpooping a few yards in front of the stand. I really didn't care about hunting. I was just trying to last a little while on the stand for my buddy. During that morning I pooped several times near and far over a period of a few hours butinspite of allof this action an 8 pointer showed up about 20 yards away and I took him. He also came within feet of one of my "episodes".
I'm scared to even imagine what dragging that deer out must have been like!
Old 08-30-2009, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think that someone forgot to send the memo to the deer informing them that the smell of my pee is bad, because I've pissed many times in the woods and have never had deer act like it bothered them. If you think about it, every animal in the woods relieves themselves, and it all smells for hours afterward. If deer got freaked out by every strange urine scent that they came across, they'd be spooked 24/7. At most I think that it might make them pause and look/listen for the source of the scent, and if they don't detect danger, they go about their business as usual. I also think that you're going to disturb more deer getting down from your stand and tromping through the woods to take a leak than if you just quietly went from the stand or behind the blind.

Mike
Old 08-30-2009, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

True story...

My buddy goes into his stand opening morning, 15 minutes after he get's settled in his tree his right leg straightens out and he realizes he's not gonna make it back to the truck!
INTESTINAL GRIDLOCK...

So he sashay's as far away as he can waddle, which is about 60 yards from his tree. Drops his camo and proceeds to paint the tree behind him (we call him wood chipper ass for a reason). He then cuts his sleeves off his shirt to wipe up, and back to his stand he goes, yet very tired from his ordeal but quite satisfied...

1 hour later a velvet 6-pointer walks into his lane and BINGO, he tags his 1st deer of the season.

Every season on "archery eve" I leave him a voice mail that goes something like Tammy Wynette's song, but I like to call the title "Chit Bye Your Stand", come on everyone sing along...

So to answer your question...
If you know your deer patterns you could use your discomfort as part of your strategy!
Old 08-30-2009, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I poop and pee where ever and whenever I am in the woods and I carry TP in my backpack.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always thought it was kind of funny. I can tell the difference between human, cat, dog, and deer urine. Deer can smell hundreds or thousands of times better than humans, yet they can't tell the difference. To me it's just laziness if you can't carry a gatorade bottle to pee in, but hey, it's your hunt and you can do what you want. As for me, only under desperate conditions would I pee off of a tree stand. After all, we should be trying to minimize human odor in the woods. Why not take the extra effort to keep the urine smell out too.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Below freezing temps, I urinated off my stand. It froze to the tree, and a doe began licking it. Must not scare them.