Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Sunday Hunting ban

Old 12-03-2007, 10:48 PM

Default RE: Sunday Hunting ban

We have sunday hunting all week in WI. And beer any day as well. The sunday ban is sort of an eastern thing. From what I understand, it goes back to the puritins who didn't want anyone doing anything on sunday. Well, I'll tell you, if I wasn't out hunting, I'd probably have to be fixing something around the house. Which one is more work?

I think the whole ban is stupid, but from what I've read, the anti-hunters make it hard to change the law.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

We have the best of both worlds in Wi. We can hunt on Sunday and Drink beer. Scary part is that too many hunters drink beer, before, during and after the hunt.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

I read an article on the whole blue law thing a few days ago. Evidentally, in 1961 there was a Supreme Court ruling which upheld states rights to ban particular activities on sunday in some circumstances. to me its the most blatant exampleof blurring the line between church and state that i have seen. I dont buy into the whole game management angle that some defenders of the ban have asserted. i've seen at least one lengthy discussion by a DNR expert who said that there was inconclusive evidence in this regard.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unlikely it will change anytime soon. This issue has been beat up and down, year after year. I live and hunt in VA, and also alot in WV. A few years ago they changed WV to allow Sunday in some counties, to be voted on by the residents of the county. Most voted it down. Same thing would happen in VA. Everytime someone brings it up, its gets shot down. Lots of folks in the east go to church on Sundays, and that plays a big part in it. It doesn't really matter to me either way. Suprisingly ALOT of hunters don't want Sunday hunting.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

not sure how i feel about the topic exactly, i remember last year reading where they wanted to allow like three sundays to be open for hunting or something...that may not be a bad idea....maybe like two weeks of muzzleloading and a week of bow season could be open to hunters on sundays...during rifle, though, one day out of the woods during a time when the woods are so pressured seems like a good thing
Old 12-04-2007, 08:48 AM

We used to not be able to hunt on Sunday where I live in MI. They changed it a few years ago, but I couldn't tell you how they went about it.

Paul
Old 12-04-2007, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rockpile rob

i used to hunt real hard, now sunday is my only day off and for the past 2 yrs i got out 5 days. pa will never change its hunting laws but i heard west virginia is able to hunt sundays, that might be my next option.

The state of WV says we can hunt on Sundays. BUT most of the countieshave laws against itand you can not hunt on Sunday on public property.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:19 AM

I go to school all week long and work after school till dark, so ya I'm all for hunting on Sunday too, I do get Saturdays off but there is usually something going on.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

no hunting on Sundays is stupid in my opinion. It should be a personal choice!
Old 12-04-2007, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

On some weeks my only days off are Sunday/Monday which means I can only get a 1/2 day hunt in any given week. I do not believe it is fair to me to not be able to do something legal on Sunday. The woods are my church.I feel strongly about this, but in VA the Sunday hunting initiative has been shut down time and time again...they don't care about what we want nor do they think they have to defend a law that not only violates the separation of church and state, but also in my opinion, equal protection laws.

Quick Reply: Sunday Hunting ban

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.