Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

FINALLY

Old 12-02-2007, 04:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default FINALLY

On the morning of opening day of shotgun season I headed over to a buddy of mines house to have coffee before we headed out. He was hunting one side of public hunting grounds while I was hunting the other, which is a 1000 acres here in Southern Maryland. The morning didn't start off good, left my phone and my water bottle at the house. Had 2-hunters walk through my area, they never even saw me sitting in my tree stand. And about 11:15 I heard something off to my right and this guy was standing right next to the stream with his young daughter. I wouldn't call him a hunter because I didn't see a gun and he was wearing a large back pack. So I assumed he was hiking on opening day.....YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! As I was looking at them shaking my head I heard something off to my left, opposite direction from the hikers. Two doe were standing just 30-yards from me. Pulled up my Thompson Center Encore w/3x9 scope loaded w/2-pyrodex pellets and Thompson shockwave 250 gr bullet and said to my self, "sorry he have to see this little girl but BAAAAMMMMMMM!!!!!! The deer just dropped right there in it's tracks. As I was looking at my deer the hikers were exiting stage left. Would of have loved to see the look on his face when he heard the blast. About 15-minutes later I climbed down to go get the deer and knew I was very lucky to kill this deer. The bullet cut through the side of a small tree, entered the deer's left ear and into the back of his head. I thought for sure that has a doe but it had 3" spikes. This deer is definetly nothing to brag about but FINALLY meat in the freezer!
Old 12-04-2007, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: FINALLY

Hey MD DEERHUNTER congrats on your public land buck!!!! Not manny of us on hear... My opening day hunt was ruined... I was in my stand 1 hour before light... Right across from my cabinand had 5 Greenridge bandits walk right by my stand... 40,000 acres and these F-STICKS had to be right on top of me...
Old 12-05-2007, 02:46 AM

Congrats on the meat in the freezer.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:50 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats fellow southern Marylander. What public land were you hunting?
Old 12-05-2007, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

Mr. Longbeard, there are many people on here that have killed deer on public land including me. You need to get off your horse and realize that deer are deer no matter where they are shot. Public land has less people hunting it then private land after opening day.