Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Another day another deer PA 8pt. >

Another day another deer PA 8pt.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Another day another deer PA 8pt.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Another day another deer PA 8pt.

Congrats!!!!
Old 12-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

fingers..way to seal the deal....I gotta get up to PA
Old 12-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

thanks guys.. any other guesses on the deers age.. My guess was 3.5 because his head was so big, the only kicker was that his snout was fairly short.. he had a big wide forehead though and a big wide neck.. My g/f's dad tried to tell me that deer was 1.5 year old and I said there was no way in hell.. Maybe I'm just nuts but do any of you see a 1.5 year old in that picture...? I definitely do not.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: fingerz42

What do you guys think the age on this deer is...?
I'm gonna get it measured out and see what the score is, my guess is 95..
I think you're pretty close. My guess is 94 2/8.

Post the score when you get him measured.

He's a nice buck. Looks well over 1 1/2 to me, but I hunt in the Texas Hill Country where mature bucks are in the 150-180 lb. range.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks... anyone else..?
It'll be about 2 weeks before i get him scored.. I'm back at college and hes at home..
Old 12-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

Nice buck. I would guess it to score about 100.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

I bet he breaks 100 because of his spread and main beam length.

I think he is probably 2.5 years, because of his body.

It is interesting though, where I hunt his rack would be indicative of a 1.5 year old (small mass and not much tine length). But where you hunt I am guessing the nutrition is poor. I imagine there is not much agricultural land (corns, soybeans, etc.) or mature oak forests (acorns, etc.). Am I correct?

It just shows you shouldn't judge a deer's age based on his antlers. Body is more important. Your father-in-law mentioned "snout" length, that is the best way to judge does in my opinion.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

You are correct, nutrition is poor where i live. For my area he is a very respectable buck.
As far as the age of the deer let me say some things on different sizes of different body parts to tell you why I believe the 1.5 guess by the father in-law is insanely incorrect. The hooves were huge, over 3.5 inches long easy. The neck was wide and thick. The deer jaw was wide and thick. And in my area 1.5 year olds only have enough nutrition usually to be about a spike or4 point.. not an 8 point with a spread like this one.. The deer also had a big wide forehead as well. I didnt get to see his teeth because by the time I went to look he was frozen with his mouth shut. Another thing about the deer was the size of his body. When I got there to him he was just a big ol' boy. (harder to tell when hes gutted) He had a real long body,and i'd bet he was 160 on the hoof. His belly was packed full. I'm a fit 21 yr. old and that drag was TOUGH. Also the black part of his nose was real wide. If you look at the picture of him from straight on he has a big head on him and his nostrils and black part of the nose were pry 3.25 inch wide. Again, all opinions are appreciated.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:01 PM
Typical Buck

He is a respectable buck anywhere. To me I tell people whom hunt my land that they are allowed to shoot a buck which is an 8-point (4 on one side) and whose main beam length takes him outside the ears. To me yours would qualify.