Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

treatment of wounded animal

Old 11-29-2007, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: treatment of wounded animal

Head shot with at .22 isn't messy - done it a couple of times.

Had a friend who used to do it with a fixed blade knife - cut the throat.... I prefer a well placed first shot. If a second shot is necessary, a .22 to the head.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:06 PM

If i can get close enough i would cut the throat but if thats not possible to get that claose then a good shot to the neck to break the spine is my next choice.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:14 PM
Fork Horn

I'm telling you guys.....rear naked choke!!!!You know what they say....60% of the time, it works every time!!!!
Old 11-29-2007, 03:11 PM

I would highly recommend a .22 to the head. Very effective, and no mess. Shoot from behind, right in the back of the head, or just stick it right in the ear. I would not recommend center fire rifle, or shotgun slug to head. Very messy, eyes popping out, jaws disintegrating, brains splattering..... If your main gun is all you've got and a second shot is absolutely necessary, get a broadside angle and shoot right squarely through the rib cage. In WI, it's legal to carry a handgun while deer hunting. Technically not legal to use the .22 for deer hunting, but I've used mine for dispaches a few times.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:46 PM
Fork Horn

I one used my 44mag. Just behind the ear from 3 yards. It was quick and amazingly not messy at all.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:02 PM
Typical Buck

Cant use a 22 in Michigan but my uncle carries his Glock 9mm for just this purpose, not messy at all.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

You certainly can carry a .22 as a side-arm while hunting for deer in Michigan. You just can't use it for hunting deer. Dispatching a deer is a different thing. I am not sure if it would be illegal to use the side-arm to dispatch the deer but it certainly would not be WRONG or morally suspect. And I seriously doubt that any conservation officer would ticket a hunter for using a .22 while dispatching a deer already mortally wounded by a legal cartridge.