Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

treatment of wounded animal

Old 11-29-2007, 07:14 AM

Default treatment of wounded animal

new hunter here. first hunt a couple weeks ago. witnessed a wounded , downed deer shot at close range with 270WIN to ends its life. My question: in such a case, would it not be proper to use a small-caliber sidearm to end the creature's suffering ? Would a shot to the head be inappropriate, or inadvisable ? Please assume the animal is downed and there is no question of an errent 2nd shot; also please do not get derailed on the legal question of carrying a sidearm, concealed or not, for hunting purposes. Thanks for your advice.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: treatment of wounded animal

Maybe a .22 was available.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Use whatever weapon you have. Here in Texas, we are allowed to carry a sidearm, and I used a .22 pistol to dispatch my son's first doe, after he shot her a little too far back and a little too low.

I guess whether to finish a wounded deer off with a headshot is dependent on what you plan to do with it. If it's a trophy buck, and you plan to do a shoulder mount, and you're only allowed to have a rifle or slug gun, then a head shot as a finisher would kinda mess things up...
Old 11-29-2007, 08:12 AM

Head shot sounds messy to me. Why not the heart?
Old 11-29-2007, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Use whatever you have at the time.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: mutantcoil

Head shot sounds messy to me. Why not the heart?
In my case, my son had tracked his wounded doe for 100 yards through thickets of cactus, etc. The doe had hidden in some brush and the only clear shot to finish her was a head shot. The .22 didn't make a mess at all.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

If another smaller weapon is available yes but just to save the meat. The head is messy but effective and the point to a second shot is to end the suffering as soon as possible. The deer cannot tell the difference between a 270 and a 22 if shot with an instant kill shot.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:02 AM

I would just bring out a .22 pistol or something small like that and use that to relieve the animal.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

in ohio we can't carry another weapon. so i would have to slug him with a 12ga at close range. and would heart shot. head would not be an option with that gun.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

Head shot, hunting rifle. Heart only if you need tosave the mount. Your responsibilty is to the deer at that point. Kill quick and without question. Besides, at the time you walk up to a downed deer, its about to get messy anyway.

Quick Reply: treatment of wounded animal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.