Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

PA 9 point stolen

Old 11-29-2007, 08:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: PA 9 point stolen

Sorry you lost your deer. But, I have to ask you about this:

ORIGINAL: fingerz42

his left side had a 3 inch diameter entrance wound
I've never even seen a 3 inch diameter EXIT wound with an '06, let alone an entrance wound. My '06 typically has an entrance wound of about .308 inches.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

fingerz,

It sounds like you might not have found the deer anyway. I don't know that he can be faulted for not leaving it to rot in the field. There's always two sides to every story. Better luck next time.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

I shot Sierra Game kings out of my 7 Mag. They punch right through the shoulders from 20-250 yards. (I haven't shot a deer farther then that.) I did shot one right through the shoulders with a .308 at 320 yds and she dropped in her tracks. I always prefer the shoulder shot to the lungs. Or another good shot is wait for the shoulder to clear the heart and punch a bullet through there. They don’t go far with a shot through the heart.

As for that your situation, that really sucks. I had a guy shoot a turkey out from me one year, that stuff will piss you off every time. Break the shoulders and let the deer drop where it stands.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will agree with the others that breaking the shoulder will put the deer down quicker, but our aim may not always be dead on and if you shoot a bit in front of the shoulder the deer will surely run a good ways and maybe escape wounded altogether. Aiming right behind the shoulder gives one more room for error in my opinion and a fairly good hold will surely result in a dead deer although the deer may not drop instantly. I guess there are advantages and disadvantages to both aiming points and where one hunts may very well be the determining factor to help avoid scenarios like in the original post.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:11 AM

Your right about that..I have seen it happen in my area as well..That guy is what you would call a slob hunter...I suppose you could have fault it,but whats the since..Maybe the old guy needed it bad.Who knows..I am sorry if I up set you about it..

It does tend to piss you off when you might have only a day or two to hunt....I know of a guy that used to walk the woods looking for down deer and this guy never carried a rifle,shotgun, or spear..So what would you call this guy?
Old 11-29-2007, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

Sorry you lost your deer. But, I have to ask you about this:

ORIGINAL: fingerz42

his left side had a 3 inch diameter entrance wound
I've never even seen a 3 inch diameter EXIT wound with an '06, let alone an entrance wound. My '06 typically has an entrance wound of about .308 inches.
you are right and let me elaborate on what i meant.. alot of the story i left out due to just wondering about the correct shot in the situation was.. Their was alot of talk between me and the old guy and their was also a ton of shadiness, but i left that out of the story to get what i wanted from the post.. shot placement.. I like all of you guys opinions on the topic though dont get me wrong..

Now on the 3" diameter entrance wound let me clarify. When it came running by it had hair missing from its left side in about a 3 inch diameter.. I knew then as I do now that the actual entrance wound wasnt 3" but with all the hair missin and such a gaping wound i figured the deer would fall REAL quick, and at about 40 yards I was about to take another shot at him and he staggered so I figured he'd fall real soon so I held back from shooting again..
Old 11-29-2007, 10:05 AM
Typical Buck

That is sad that people will do that. I had the same thing happen to me quitea few years ago, only it was with a really nice doe. I saw the blood trail go right past him and his family and there was blood and hair all over a barbed wire fence from her. I looked around this area and never saw her. Pretty soon, I walked back by the hunter and his family and all of a sudden the tailgate on his truck and camper door were both shut with some fresh blood on the ground. I knew that he had taken it, but what do you really do?? I commend you for not confronting him more. You never know what people will do when they have a gun in their hand.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:55 AM

I would have shot the deer in the shoulder. Especially if it was a 30-06 I was using. That type of gun would have took out the shoulder and then the heart and lungs and that deer would not have gone far at all. Plus a deer can't run when you hit him the shoulder. I would have taken that deer back from the old guy anyway.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

A '06 will break a deer down shot through the shoulder at that far. I have dropped plenty of buck in their tracks with shoulder shots(itswhat i shoot for) out to 200 yds with a 308. My dad always taught me and my brother to shoot for the shoulders.

thats stupid the old man just took your deer. i would try to find some private land to hunt.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:28 PM

It sounds like you came upon the old man shortly after shooting the deer. If he in fact took it, it should have been down somewhere in the vicinity. Did you look around? I would have. You followed blood up to within 10 yards of his stand, you have every right to look around.

I shot a deer quartering to much like you describe, and in fact I did have a 3" diameter entrance wound. I was using a .308, and the bullet hit the "tip" of the shoulder where the humerus meets the scapula. Anyway, the bullet tumbled and opened up a big hole in the lower rear rib cage. I recovered the deer but it wasn't pretty.

Quick Reply: PA 9 point stolen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.