Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Fixing Broken Points -Your opinion` >

Fixing Broken Points -Your opinion`

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Fixing Broken Points -Your opinion`

Old 11-28-2007, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fixing Broken Points -Your opinion`

ORIGINAL: Lubricious

I would never fix a point that I didnt break or cause to break. To me, it would be a lie.

I would not fix it either....but would it be a lie, or cheating like someone else said.....no way!
Old 11-28-2007, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the resonses everyone - I guess it just goes to show that its not an easy decision - I do appreciate all your responses - and as much as I'd like to see that brow tine - I think I'd always know that It wasn't there when I shot it.

At least thats what I'm thinking now.

FH
Old 11-29-2007, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats FH, all your work payed off!!!! Well done!! That buck will make a GREAT looking mount just the way he is!
Old 11-29-2007, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I passed on a 150 class 10 point last week for the sole reason that he had most of his G2 broken off. I have killed other deer with broken tines that I didn't see before shooting, and my philosophy is that how they hit the ground is how they are mounted.

I have Camtrakker pictures of another buck during muzzleloader season and more during rifle season, and by rifle season, he had broken off most of one browtine. He is a mid 160's class buck, and since I have pictures of him "intact", I might consider having him repaired if I had killed him.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:15 AM

I would leave it as is.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

leave it and mount it, my first deer had on antler the other broke off and i did a texas mount to it. i love it
Old 11-29-2007, 01:30 PM

Last year I had 2 deer mounted both had broken brows ,I fix one and left the other alone.I say use playdoe or clay and repair it ,If you like it better that way have it repaired permently.Smash the grill on your truck ,some people would leave it that way and some would replace it for looks.The only one it matters to is the owner of the truck.

[/align]
Old 11-29-2007, 01:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

only time id consider it, is if i was absolutely posative it broke off between the time me shooting him, and the time it died.

like my buddy for example...shot a decint 8pt one year..biggest buck at the time...something happend and he had to finish it...either he missed or the bullet exited and shattered one side...he did have that fixed, and its not even noticable..

or...you shoot one you KNOW had a point..or full main beam etc...get there and the main beam is snapped off, or point busted off and FRESH...id look for it along the trail, then consider having it fixed if i find it or if i dont...dont need it to have it fixed...yes, it can easily happen...my buddies bowkill this year took a big chunk out of a tree when it crashed...ive shot a couple deer that RAN into trees and boulders...