Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Stillhunting questions

Old 11-29-2007, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Stillhunting questions

I'm looking for some insights into how to do this--I tried it yesterday but don't really know if I was doing it right or if it was the right choice of tactic.

Here's why I chose it: my "prime ground" is a place that I have several blinds built up. However, on weekdays, I can't get there earlier than about 4:00 PM and yesterday (opening day in Kansas) the wind direction was such that I would have had to taken the "long way" to the blinds--meaning I couldn't get set until 4:30. Rather than try it so late, I went to another piece of land: a woodlot with a pond in the middle. It's surrounded by typical Kansas pasture and cut grain fields. They feed in the fields and also on the vegetation growing on the pond dam. The entry point is bad for the wind direction, but I was able to use ridges to make a big circle around the property to get the wind in my face and not be seen. I would have undoubtedly been scented by some deer at the gate, but not where I ended up. It put the grain fields at my back in the evening.

Now for the questions:

1. Should I have stuck with the blinds even it means getting in so late? My concern was running deer out of the place and spoiling it the first day of the season.

2. Was deciding to stillhunt that other piece the right move?

3. How fast do you go if you still hunt? I know its stop and go, but I'd like know some rules of thumb about pace, length of pauses, etc.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Stillhunting questions

I think you made the right choice in not "spoiling" your prime spot. Save it for when you can hunt it properly. As for speed, it depends on a lot of things. How well can you hear? How well can you see? What are the signs like in the area? Find the traffic routes and stay put for a while (especially that time of day).
Old 11-29-2007, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do think you made the correct decision. Playing the wind is always crucial and you seemed to have avoided being upwind as much as possible. That says a lot right there.

As far as how fast you go depends on a few factors. The slower the better. Once you are in those deer woods, your main goal is to shoot a deer. In order to do that, you must see him before he knows you're there. I know this is simplified but it's something I always remind myself of.

There is absolutely no need to worry about time. Don't be concerned about what's over that next ridge or beyond those hardwoods. You should be doing more stand hunting than walking. If you think you're traveling too fast, you are. If you think you're traveling slow enough, you're probably not. Remeber slow is good,slower is better and slowest is best. Most guys I know travel waaaaay too fast when still hunting. They see a lot of deer but they don't shoot a lot of deer. I also remind myself, walk fast, see deer; walk slow, shoot deer.

Good Luck!!

Old 11-29-2007, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Helpful insights from both of you, especially this one:

They see a lot of deer but they don't shoot a lot of deer. I also remind myself, walk fast, see deer; walk slow, shoot deer.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:10 PM
Typical Buck

I move according to the terrain, I pick a tree big enough to lean against, pick the best route and sneak to it. It might be only 10 yards away but you might have a completely different view from there. If it's too quiet in the woods to sneak (i.e., no wind and crunchy leaves) I'll run to the next spot (as long as it's not over 10 yards) shuffling my feet in the leaves to mimick a sound a squirrel makes which sounds completely different than a human walking. The rule of thumb is if you see white tails running away, you are moving too fast.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Father Forkhorn

3. How fast do you go if you still hunt?
As slow as you can stand it. Seriously.

I always try to still-hunt "cross compartment", going over the finger or ridge instead of along the contour.

Take advantage of gusts of wind to cover the noise of your movement (if you are in the woods / deep leaves / thick cover).

Stopping next to a tree is good advice - it can help brace/support your shot and can also help hide your outline.

One final thing, and it may seem like common sense, but always plan to halt your movement in a shooting stance -- if you are right handed, that means left foot forward. I've seen lot's of folks stop with their feet square to their line of movement or even with the "wrong" foot forward.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

good choice on that hunt. with stillhunting, if you think you are walking slow enough, you aren't. A silent step with a 10 second pause is the fast version of true still hunting. A loud step means a longer wait. Hunt across the wind rather than into it, because you'll be moving so slow that deer ahead of you will get away, and deer behind you will turn off before they pass you if you are going with the wind in your face. As much scent protection as you can do. If possible, have the sun at your back, so you can see the deer better. Dress as warm as you would if stand hunting, because you really should be barely moving at all. Binoculars are a must, its often the first sight of a deer when stillhunting, and can keep you from moving when you shouldn't. The idea is to use movement to change your view, as the deer move to and around you (like when you're in a stand).
Old 11-29-2007, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

keep the remarks coming. This is very helpful. At the very leastcan tell that although I was going slow, it was still too fast.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

I always find myself going to fast, it's definitely a challenge.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:32 PM

I like to still hunt. These days its seems that I can't sit in a stand for more than a couple of hours. So my solution is to still hunt my way to the stand in the eveningI try to arrive no more than two hours before sunset. During morning hunts I sit as long as I can make myself then look at my watch and make myself stay put for another 30 minutes, then I still hunt for awhile.

Speed??? Slow, slower, slower, slower. What I do is scan as far as I can see. I will even pull out my Binos and search the brush. Once I'm satisfied that I searched every nook and cranny I'll move ahead 10 or 15 yards. The whole time I'm walking ahead I'm scanning the woods. It may take as long as 5 to 10 minutes, or I might make it in a couple. The conditions really dictate how fast you can move. If there is a lot of cover noise I can move faster. The key is to make certain that You're not going to spook something. Of course the closer you get the slower i move. Once I get to my new location I start scouring all over again. Funny thing is that usually if your going to see anything it happens in the first few minutes. The deer usually have noticed you, they are just watching hoping you'll move on and not notice them. The longer you stand still the more antsy they get. After awhile they move around a little and give themselves away.

While still hunting the rifle is always in the ready position with a round in the chamber and my thumb on the safety. You should practice making snap shots if you plan to still hunt. You will rarely have the perfect broadside shot. Countless times I've had deer jump from their bed, and if I wasn't quick it wouldn't have worked. Most times you have a couple of seconds at the most to draw a clean bead and squeeze off a good shot. The good news is that the distances are generally under 50 yards.

Quick Reply: Stillhunting questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.