Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

ohio gun season

Old 11-26-2007, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default ohio gun season

well as much as i love bow huntin i also love to take teh gun out. but if any of you guys are out today holly crap. u need some water proof stuff is it me or is the rain in nov. rediculus it should b snowin!!!!!! so how many of you went out n lets here a story
Old 11-27-2007, 01:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ohio gun season

I went out, WITH my Waterproof stuff! Stayed until about 10:00 AM, saw nothing. Back out again today.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:39 AM

I got into the stand at 5:45 yesterday and the sky was pretty clear with temps in the mid-30's. By 6:45 a light rain had started and a thick fog rolled into the ravines with it. By 7:15 the rain was coming down in buckets and you couldn't see more than 15 to 20 feet in front of you. I got out of the stand at 9:30 and took a walk (didn't see anything and had not heard many shots. Headed back to the truck at 11:30 for lunch and a quick nap. During lunch the rain let up and the fog cleared out so I headed back to the stand at 1:00 and the monsoon and fog appeared again.

Even with rain gear on it was a long, miserable day. I didn't see a single deer, nor did I hear anything moving in the woods (not that it would be easy to hear over the rain). I got home at 7:00 and cleaned my gun and hung my hat, boots, and gloves to dry out. I won't be going agian until Friday and certainly hope for cooler temps and clearer skies.

Not sure about you...but I didn't see as many hunters out as I would have expected.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was out. I didn't even know it was raining while getting ready. No waterproof suit for me unfortunatly. I got out before light (instead of going in to work) At 8:20 I decided to leave in 15 minutes if I hadn't seen anything. 5 minutes later this one showed up. 80 yard shot. Broke his spine with the first shot. Had to walk up and put him down for good.

Hopefully the pic will work.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:49 AM

Congrats on the great buck!
Old 11-27-2007, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

I hunted NW-PA yesterday. It was wet all day. My stand has a roof so it was quite nice. I only saw 4 deer and heard very few shots. I ended up getting a doe around noon, she was beatin' feet through the woods and my 7 mag caught up with her right behind the shoulder. I went out today and i was only in the stand for about 45 min's when I had a nice sized deer walk up on me. I would have been a real nice basket rack 8 , but one side was broken and the other had the tip of the main beam broken off. He must have been fightin’ hard this summer. Anyways, not to bad because this is the first time I had been able to hunt since 2002. Be some good venison in freezer. I may post a picture later.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

I have had a horrible first 2 days here in central Ohio. On Monday, opening day, rained all day and didn't let up, even a few thunder boomers in the afternoon. Today, Tuesday, sunny but windy as all get out and nothing was moving, I mean nothing. I have heard a total of 6 shots in 2 days of hunting, that is unheard of where I hunt. The first morning is like WWIII and second day is not bad either. I saw 3 doe at day break Monday morning at about 250 yards and that's it. Hope tomorrow is better. [/align]
Old 11-28-2007, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

same here i mean monday was bad talked to teh guy at the check station n he said more deer tag on TUES. then MON.