Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
food scents?
6.67%
esterous scents?
46.67%
tarsal scents?
6.67%
others?
13.33%
no scents?
26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Scents, and how to use them?

Old 11-17-2007, 08:09 PM

Default Scents, and how to use them?

Hey guys,
link here; I just came back from my first deer hunt! Well I was hunting with my uncle and he used tink's doe in heat and it seemed to get theattention of my cousin's 8 point. I am a little bit lost with the whole scent thing and info would be nice. I would like to know:
1.have you had luck with scents?
how about:
food scents?what kinds?
esterous scents?what brands?
tarsal scents?
others?
Thanks guys!-linkppn
Old 11-17-2007, 08:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Scents, and how to use them?

got some odor block from walmart spray on type fresh earth scent used it I sure pushed game to other people don't know if it worked. ol wink martindale says use the odar block soap , deoderant and soforth. before you go along with blinds and camo. but ya know what i snuck up on a few deer just using the wind and I think they mighta been inbred and alittle slow with no scent block go figure..[8D]
Old 11-18-2007, 08:33 AM

Thanks, Do people like put scents in front of where they are hunting or somthing?
Old 11-18-2007, 08:37 AM

Don't waste your money. Go out and hunt. The only scents I will use is the pee from a deer I kill or the tarsal glands of a buck. I have never had much luck with store bought scents.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:05 AM

Thanks for the input!
Old 11-18-2007, 09:26 AM

bump
Old 11-18-2007, 09:47 AM

The most improtant thing to consider is controlling your own scent. A deer's first line of defense is their nose. If you can fool it your chances of harvesting a deer will improve considerably.

Here are some personal tipsI use for my own scent control:
[ul][*]Wash clothes and towels for showersin a detergent that is free of scents (I use Hunter's Specialty brand, but any of the same type will do)[*]I hang my freshly washed clothes (towels included) outside to dry (straight out of the wash to avoid any odor absorbant)[*]Prior to bagging the dried clothes in a scent control bag, I will run them through the dryer for 20-30 minutes (Before placing them in there, I clean the lint trap, spray the inside of the dryer with a cover scent...fresh earth). I use fresh earth dryer sheets and also place fresh earth scent wafers in the storage bags with the clothes.[*]I wear full rubber boots for hunting and regularly wash them with water and the Hunter's Specialty soap and let them fully dry outside then pace them in a rubber container with fresh earth scent wafers.[*]I shower before every hunt with Hunter's Specialty's Hair and Body wash and dry with the towels I have carefully prepared. I hang the towel outside to dry during the day.[*]I always wait until I get to the woods to put on my hunting clothes and boots.[*]Once clothes are on, I spray myself with fresh earth cover scent.[*]Carry a sandwich bag of sliced apples to much on while on stand. This will help reduce mouth-borne odors as well as a snack.[*]Always pay attention to the wind.[/ul]
The main thing to consider when using attractant scents (food or animal) is to make sure you use them moderately. Also consider the time of the season, placement of in relation to the wind and your stand location,and what period the deer are going through when using scents such as Tarsal, urine, etc. Scents such as Doe-in-heat usually work best during the chase phase or pre-rut (in my opinion), during the rut, and the post-rut when some of the yearling does will come into heat or does that had not been successfully bred during the main rut.

Tarsal glands can have a negative impact on younger deer. They can shy away from areas where this scent is used in attempt to avoid a confrontation with a more dominant one. However, the dominant buck of that area will see this as an intruder to his domain. In that event he will usually come in to investigate.

As for placement of attractant scent, take careful consideration of wind direction and stand location when dispersing them. Deer will gerally tend to circle around to the downwind side to attempt to identify the source.

Hope this helps and doesn't lead to too much confusion.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:51 AM

Great post, thanks for the info!