Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First Deer Season ever!!

Old 11-15-2007, 08:31 PM

Default First Deer Season ever!!

Hey, guys!
This saturday will be my first deer hunt! Its Ohio's youth shotgun season. My uncle and cousin,who know what they are doing, arecoming over tomorrow to scout and sight in the slug gun. we have a deer blind set up. Do you guys have any tips or hints to help me and to help me to beat the jitters!
Thanks in advance-linkppn
Old 11-15-2007, 09:26 PM

Default RE: First Deer Season ever!!

That's great that your family is going to help you get started in an amazing sport. My only advice is if it is cold make sure you wear plenty of clothes. It is better to over dress and be able to take stuff off than to sit in a stand all morning freezing you toes off and miserable. I learned this the hard way on my first hunt. When you do see that big buck make sure you take your time and breathe. Best of luck to you and I hope you shoot a monster!
Old 11-16-2007, 07:04 AM

I agree, before you shoot take a second to remember how to shoot correctly. For some reason buck fever makes you forget everything. Breath & squeeze, and remember … it’s just a deer. I was shooting tight patterns all day long at the range but when I shot at a buck for the first time I did everything wrong. Heart bounding, held my breath, pulled the trigger hard, and then looked up as soon as I fired. I missed twice before the buck finally just walked into the woods slowly.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:25 AM

Be patient when you see a deer, and wait for a good shot. It can be frustrating when a good shot doesn’t present itself, but it’s better than that sick feeling you get when you take an ill advised shot.

If you get a deer, you need to watch very carefully how your uncle field dresses it. Caring for your deer after the shot is extremely important. Once I was comfortable field dressing a deer, I enjoyed hunting more. My first few deer hunts I passed up deer because I wasn’t looking forward to gutting the deer.

Both these tips fall under “respecting the deer”. Enjoy your hunt! And I hope it’s the start of a lifetime of hunting.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most important: Go through everything on safety--Where is it safe to aim, point a gun, shoot, etc? Is my muzzle under control? Where are other people? Do I have my safety on (don't switch it off till you've got a target, you've determined you can safely shoot, and you're ready to shoot )? What's behind my target?

You may find it helpful when you first get in position to focus on breathing in an out steadily--the goal is to become utterly still and never make a quick, jerky movement.

Anticipate a deer appearing and what you will do: if a deer appears by that fence over there, can I safely take aim and shoot? How do I bring the gun to position slowly and safely without alerting the deer?

When you're taking aim don't look at antlers or the body of the deer. Look at where you are aiming. Then, focus on the crosshairs or the sites when you get them lined uyp on the deer. SQUEEZE the trigger. Be prepared to make a second shot. Put the safety back on and make sure you aren't waving the gun around and doing something dangerous.

Good luck. Do it right and you will never forget it. Ever. It's incredible!
Old 11-16-2007, 01:38 PM
Typical Buck

I would agree with all of the above. Have a great time and make sure your uncle and cousin tell you plenty of lies about the ones that got away. Don't forget to take a good knife. Wear warm clothing. Think safty first. Ummmmm ohhh and relax and enjoy the moment. Best of luck.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:15 PM

Have fun young man and be safe. Listen to those with experience and I hope you get one!
Old 11-16-2007, 02:19 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Father Forkhorn

Most important: Go through everything on safety--Where is it safe to aim, point a gun, shoot, etc? Is my muzzle under control? Where are other people? Do I have my safety on (don't switch it off till you've got a target, you've determined you can safely shoot, and you're ready to shoot )? What's behind my target?

You may find it helpful when you first get in position to focus on breathing in an out steadily--the goal is to become utterly still and never make a quick, jerky movement.

Anticipate a deer appearing and what you will do: if a deer appears by that fence over there, can I safely take aim and shoot? How do I bring the gun to position slowly and safely without alerting the deer?

When you're taking aim don't look at antlers or the body of the deer. Look at where you are aiming. Then, focus on the crosshairs or the sites when you get them lined uyp on the deer. SQUEEZE the trigger. Be prepared to make a second shot. Put the safety back on and make sure you aren't waving the gun around and doing something dangerous.

Good luck. Do it right and you will never forget it. Ever. It's incredible!
Excellent Advice!
Old 11-16-2007, 05:05 PM
Typical Buck

Watch the scope on the slug gun! I put a scope on mine last night and went to sight in today. I've never used a scope, but got a fast lesson and a knot right between my eyes.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

One that will really help you is to pick out how big of deer you will be happy with ahead of time. Once you have set your standards STICK TO THEM. If you will be happy with a doe then shoot one. It would be bad if you passed up a shot on a deer that you might have wanted to take but then dont get another shot. Be happy with your choice. Dont get down on yourself if you miss. Everyone does it.oh yeah almost forgot. Beings that your in Ohio Im guessing the weather is about the same as for Iowa, thatbeing COLD. What I would do is get some good socks and tape a disposable handwarmer to each foot under the toes. If it gets to hot take them off. It is downright miserable sitting with cold feet. Trust me when I say that you get A LOT colder sitting in a stand then you do walking around bird hunting. Hope your first season is a good one.

Quick Reply: First Deer Season ever!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.