HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First Deer Season ever!!
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 02:19 PM
Rebel Hog
Dominant Buck

Default RE: First Deer Season ever!!

ORIGINAL: Father Forkhorn

Most important: Go through everything on safety--Where is it safe to aim, point a gun, shoot, etc? Is my muzzle under control? Where are other people? Do I have my safety on (don't switch it off till you've got a target, you've determined you can safely shoot, and you're ready to shoot )? What's behind my target?

You may find it helpful when you first get in position to focus on breathing in an out steadily--the goal is to become utterly still and never make a quick, jerky movement.

Anticipate a deer appearing and what you will do: if a deer appears by that fence over there, can I safely take aim and shoot? How do I bring the gun to position slowly and safely without alerting the deer?

When you're taking aim don't look at antlers or the body of the deer. Look at where you are aiming. Then, focus on the crosshairs or the sites when you get them lined uyp on the deer. SQUEEZE the trigger. Be prepared to make a second shot. Put the safety back on and make sure you aren't waving the gun around and doing something dangerous.

Good luck. Do it right and you will never forget it. Ever. It's incredible!
Excellent Advice!