Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 i dont get it...just dont understand >

i dont get it...just dont understand

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

i dont get it...just dont understand

Old 11-14-2007, 08:39 PM

Default i dont get it...just dont understand

well i scouted this new spot sunday and found some nice buck sign. seen some fresh scrapes and some big rubs leading into a cutover. i took off work and hunted it yesturday and today. it was 72 yesturday and 77 today. i was sitting downwind of the cutover and got in there at 1 each day. i parked the 4wheeler about 200yds downwind of the cutover and seen a guy(that was tresspassing) sittin against a tree. i ran him off and only seen 2 does that afternoon. whats going on? all that bucksign and i was so confident that i was in the right place at the right time. went back today sat from 12 till 2 and had to leave cause a guy was drivin a tractor in the woods right under my stand so i left and went on my cornfeeder and only seen 1 doe right at dark. now this cutover is the bedding area i think and seen 22 deer 2 weeks ago about 400yds down trail they were coming out of the cutover. where did all the deer go? the wind was right yesturday i dont get it. is it just too hot and the bucks wont move till dark. should i keep hunting it and hope nobody comes runnin in there again or hunt a new spot. how does the warm weather effect deer movement this time of the year? i was very disappointed because the rubs are bigger then any ive ever hunted before.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:56 PM

Default RE: i dont get it...just dont understand

Are jumping the deer out of it getting into that spot?
Old 11-14-2007, 09:18 PM

i really doubt it. im walking in very quiet and the 2 does i did see came from the other side of the cutover prob 400yds from were its real thick and theres a bunch of small pines. its got me confused. im starting to not care much for the rut, i could have went in there bow season..seen the rubline and had more luck im sure.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:23 PM

It's could be a variety of things. I have a spot that sounds similar, but it's pipeline cut-through in the middle of 85 acres of oak trees. Walking through the woods, there are remnants of buck rubs from many years as they are at many different heights. I know the bucks are there, but they aren't showing themselves during daylight.

In my case, I think it's a combo of the weather and abundant food. They just don't have to move much with all th acorns on the ground. I've also got a bad ratio with too many does. It makes competition almost non existant.

I hunt another place that doesn't have quite the same amount of food sources and a better buck to doe ratio. The deer are so healthy here this year with our mild, wet summer that I'm passing on many bucks that would be definite shooters in drought years.

Basically, there isn't an easy answer. The only answer I've ever been able to truly believe is that the more time you spend out hunting, the better your odds of getting the deer you desire. Because we had a front blow through tonight, I'm leaving my house in 4 hours to drive out, hunt for 3 or so hours, then make it back in time for a lunch meeting at the office. The clerk at the small town gas station where I plan to stop will probably look at me pretty funny when I come in dressed in camo carrying a suit so I can change and shave in their bathroom.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:40 PM

I would hang in there. The bucks are in there, rubs and scrapes don't make thereselves. If your hunting a big buck don't expect to see him all the time, thats why their big. But you can be assured he's there.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:46 PM

i too have a bad doe to buck ratio. those 22 deer i seen only 2 were bucks and they wont shooters. i did think i heard a feeder go off yesturday about a hour before dark but thats on the other side of the property line and if its the guys i think, he is clueless when it comes to hunting. so i just sorta doubt they would be hanging around that feeder w/ all the scent he tracks in and dont hunt the wind. i dont know, i have already got a 8pt during bow season that was big to me but nothing compared to this one. im thinking aboutgetting the bow backout to thin out the does for next yearand just hope he walks out. the buck/doe ratio is crazy and im getting worried that i need to take care of that next week on my week off. is that a bad idea or should i keep hunting the cutover for that buck?
Old 11-15-2007, 04:59 AM
Typical Buck

Tommy,

I wouldn't give up on the area. I only own 17 acres of land, I don't hunt it, but have deer on my land. I'm surrounded by farmland and have tractors running around my land all the time, plus I plow my own firebrakes with my tractor, and quiet often see deer while on the tractor.

We have had 1000 acres leased for 27 years, 400 acres used to be in cropland. I have actually been siting in a tree stand while the farmers was working their crops and watched as the tractor plowed toward one end of the field, deer would walk out into the field to feed and run back in the woods when the tractor came back to our end, then do it again. I have actually watched coyotes do the same thing. The coyotes would run out into the field and catch a field mouse the plows had stirred up. Then they would run back into the woulds, then do it again. Quiet comical to watch.

One thing I have noticed from my truck and atv, a deer may stand still as long as you don't stop the vehicle or if they do run, they don't go far. But stop that vehicle and they will disappear.

dog1
Old 11-15-2007, 08:37 AM

i only got another full week to hunt. mornings and afternoons. it should be cold but after thanksgiving its just saturdays the rest of the season. i really want to take a few does w/ the bow. should i wait it out and hope to see him or take a few w/ the bow? what would be my chances of seeing him? should i go in the cutover to get closer to the bed? or should i just set on the edge and hope to see him before dark?
Old 11-15-2007, 08:53 AM

It might have something to do with "a guy was drivin a tractor in the woods right under my stand "
Old 11-15-2007, 09:34 AM

yeah thats why i left after he went by..but the day before there were no interrutions other then they guy i found way on down where i parked that had been there all morning. i dont think he was on the cutover. ill try to get a arial photo of the land when i go on lunch. id like to hear some of yalls opinions on where to set up. should be interesting

Quick Reply: i dont get it...just dont understand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.