HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - i dont get it...just dont understand
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 09:23 PM
FtWorthHunter

Default RE: i dont get it...just dont understand

It's could be a variety of things. I have a spot that sounds similar, but it's pipeline cut-through in the middle of 85 acres of oak trees. Walking through the woods, there are remnants of buck rubs from many years as they are at many different heights. I know the bucks are there, but they aren't showing themselves during daylight.

In my case, I think it's a combo of the weather and abundant food. They just don't have to move much with all th acorns on the ground. I've also got a bad ratio with too many does. It makes competition almost non existant.

I hunt another place that doesn't have quite the same amount of food sources and a better buck to doe ratio. The deer are so healthy here this year with our mild, wet summer that I'm passing on many bucks that would be definite shooters in drought years.

Basically, there isn't an easy answer. The only answer I've ever been able to truly believe is that the more time you spend out hunting, the better your odds of getting the deer you desire. Because we had a front blow through tonight, I'm leaving my house in 4 hours to drive out, hunt for 3 or so hours, then make it back in time for a lunch meeting at the office. The clerk at the small town gas station where I plan to stop will probably look at me pretty funny when I come in dressed in camo carrying a suit so I can change and shave in their bathroom.