Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

SO CLOSE! yet so far away..

Old 11-13-2007, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default SO CLOSE! yet so far away..

I had an awesome morning this morning. I was hunting a feeding area and had seen around 10-12 does during the morning, and it was unseasonably warm 65, in Va, and didnt expect to see much rutting activity, boy was i wrong. Around 9:45 i heard some footsteps only to look up at an absolute monster for my area, he may score around 120. Anyway, he was around 100 yards in and out of thick brush running some does and refused to give me a shot! I played cat and mouse with this joker for an hour anda half and threw everything but the kitchen sink! grunts, bleats, a sequence of a young buck tending a doe, EVERYTHING, but to no avail, he just refused to leave those does, understandbly. He finally left the area, and it was raining so i decided it would be a good time to do some scouting where i saw him. My brother and I had just made some mock scrapes wher ei last saw him on Sunday, and they had been taken over, and I saw several more scrapes that tells me he's working the area.My dad and Iset up a portable blind and that would give me a better opportunity to get a shot during the rain and am confident that no human scent was left behind and wont be able to hunt the area till thursday cause i have school tomorrow. But I feel good about our setup and feel like i should get another crack at him. What do you guys think? This big guy has got me all worked up!
Old 11-13-2007, 05:28 PM

Default RE: SO CLOSE! yet so far away..

Sounds promising. Post a pic when you get him.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I definitely will, there is also another respectable 8 pt. working the same area, so hopefully i'll be blessed with an opportunity at one of the two!
Old 11-13-2007, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

WELL GEEZ LAWEEZE RC!! WE BETTER GET OUT THERE RIGHT NOW BEFORE HE'S GONE!!
Old 11-13-2007, 07:37 PM

With 10-12 does in there he will be around for a few days. I feel you on trying to get bucks to leave does. You'll get him, sit all day if you have to.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks USAF hunter.. like i said before hes made a couple scrapes and taken over my mock scrapes. How should i hunt those.. i have some Tink's 69.. should i drop a few drops in the scrapes or just leavethem be? I wont be able to hunt the area until Thursday and its supposed to rain on and off up until about thursday at noon.. so could i count on him revisiting these scrapes after te rain to freshen them up?

Old 11-13-2007, 07:46 PM

Those scrapes could be any bucks, but it may be him also. I try to leave scrapes alone when there chasing does. If you know where the does are going to be I would be there. Are you bow or gun hunting?
Old 11-14-2007, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats a good point, like i said there's a big buck, a very nice 8, and i also got a four pointer on the trail camera in the same general vicinity, so it could be any of them, i'll probably just leave the scrapes alone and tie a scent drag to a tree about 50-75 yards out? I'm hunting with a muzzleloader right now, and rifle season comes in on saturday, and I'm sure that i won't see him next week cause of the amount hunting pressure/ fur and fire techniques of our hunting neighbors.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I checked the weather, and its calling for high of 50 and rain showers all through the morning, however, its suppposed to be kind of windy, around 15mph coming out of the Northwest, the rainy conditions got me pumped up, I just hope that it won't get to windy on me.