Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Kentucky rut

Old 11-12-2007, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Kentucky rut

Well i live in lyon county kentucky and well the rut just seems to be heating up now iv seen some ok bucks chasing some does but it will come around the bigs one will show soon hopefully!!!
Old 11-12-2007, 06:13 PM

I hunt pretty close to you all fellas as well.I live on 95 acres in Williamstown on 36 (cordova rd) in Grant County. I have seen some rut activity there as well but nothing like down on the river in Petersburg (Boone County). On my firt "all day sit" (Halloween) I saw atleast 10 different bucks and only 2 didn't have girls on there mind, 2 were shooters that i couldn't get a shot and I passed a 130" 9 pointer and the other was way to far.
On my second all-day sit down there was Nov.6 and it was action packed w/ rut activity. Saw atleast 15 different bucks. Every one had the ladies on their mind.Had a 120" 8 breed a doe at 40 yards andhad4 bucks chasing ONE doe. Haven't seen even a decent deer since that day down there........Which tells me there in the lock down mode. Usually lasts a few days. Time for them to breed and leave their "hot doe" and go on the hunt for the next one.

I hope that kinda explains what the lockdown mode is.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

The good Doctor is in western Ky close to Paducah ...I have been hunting Livingston Co ...have seen a number of doe's and young bucks hunting off a winter wheat field ...the young bucks have played a little with the girls but it appears to me the doe's arnt quite ready ...I have a friend here who has a butcher shop and he had 84 deer brought to him Saturday ...only 10 of the bucks had the necks starting to swell and none were stinking of rut ....

dd
Old 11-13-2007, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt down in Pendelton county and last year during gun season there was so many deer up and moving you couldnt even keep track. I think all weekend I seen 8 deer and zero bucks. I did take a nice doe on Sunday.

I seen a alot of activivty the week before gun season opened so who knows. The bucks might already be in lock down mode, or the big swimg of the rut hasnt happened. Hopefully this weekend proves better.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:08 PM
Typical Buck

They say that bucks might not be in the same stage as others I guess this is true. I'm hunting in Union County, Ky. and on Saturday I saw 2 small bucks chasing does. I took a nice 9 pointer that evening. He came in to a group of does that were at my stand. He grunted then started scent checking them. Thanks to him looking for love my arrow found its mark. Good hunting.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Manlaw, what road do you hunt on near the Kleber WMA. I hunt nearby off of Rt. 227 in Owen County, near the Rich or Kleber WMA myself.

ORIGINAL: manlaw

I know what you mean coolbrze0 we hunted a farm a couple of miles from Kleber wma in Owen County and that resulted in BIG BUCKS!!!
Old 11-13-2007, 06:09 PM

I just got back from hunting all weekend in Kentucky as well... I don't think all the deer are rutting yet. Plus, the warm weather and high winds didn't help... Saw 5 deer in 3 days - all small, non-shooters.

Although, my nephew dropped a nice 8-point, which should score around the 130s with his bow and one of my buddies dropped a monster 16-pointer in Hardin County that greenfield scored 194 or 196, I don't recall. It's huge.It will be easily a top 5 kill this season inthe state. I don't have pictures yet but I have a friend that's supposed to be sending me some.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:19 PM

Not sure what road it was off sounds quite familiar, it was out in BFE; some guy named "Bo owned the farm he was a friend of my Dad's and was nice enough to let us hunt my dad got a nice 9 pointer that should've been a 10 due to a broken tine.