Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shotgun question

Old 11-12-2007, 05:42 AM

Default Shotgun question

Been bow hunting for a few years now and thought I would get back into the fire arm season. I just picked up a Remington 870, 12 Ga. this past weekend and would like to use it this season for deer hunting. I will be in lower Michigan and state requirements are shotgun only in my area. My question is, I need to purchase the correct choke for use with slugs. Anyone out there know what I should be purchaseing. My longest shot would be 40 yards max. from where I am set up.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:47 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Shotgun question

I bought a rifled barrel for mine. You might check out cabelas or gander mountain
Old 11-12-2007, 06:36 AM

I use the 870 in Ohio. You can shoot a slug through the barrel, but I suggest the rifled slug barel as well. If you decide to use the regular barrel, use a loose choke- improved cylinder will work.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:05 AM

I would like to get the slug barrel for it but, I can't find it in the bugget right now. I thought I would have to get the open choke for use with slugs. I have the improved cyl. choke. So I can use that?
Old 11-12-2007, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you can't buy another choke then you need to use the improved cylinder. With the improved cylinder don't waste your money on sabot slugs. You'll want to shoot the $2.00 a box Remington Sluggers or Winchester XX 1 ounce slugs. Buy a couple of boxes of each and see which ones shoot out of your 870 the best.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:14 AM

ORIGINAL: sjsfire

If you can't buy another choke then you need to use the improved cylinder. With the improved cylinder don't waste your money on sabot slugs. You'll want to shoot the $2.00 a box Remington Sluggers or Winchester XX 1 ounce slugs. Buy a couple of boxes of each and see which ones shoot out of your 870 the best.
That is 100% correct! I personally use the Remington Sluggers, I have shot deer up to 90 yards with these. My dad uses the Winchesters. You have to findout what works for you.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

Diddo on the rifled barrel. Love mine. I used to use Improved with standard slugs (also what Remington suggests). They also make rifled choke tubes for that application. Not surehow wellthe sabots will work with just a rifled choke...
Old 11-12-2007, 07:40 AM
Spike

I have an REM. 870 set up with a scope and I love it. I shoot the cheapo REM sluggers that I get at Wally World and at 50 yds I have a group that touches each other at dead bull. I dont have a rifled barrel and I was really surprised how accurate it is at 50 yards. If I have to shoot any further than 50yds I use my muzzleloader. Good luck.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:58 PM

If you are really only looking for 40-50 yards or so then a smoothbore with rifled slugs will work just fine. Either a I/C or Modified choke will work, try both if you have them to see what works best.

I would possibly suggest some clamp on fiber optic sights. They clamp on to the rib of your barrel and are adjustable. Increases your accuracy a fair amount in some cases.

The rifled barrels and sabots are nice, but get a bit pricey and you really don't need either for what you want to do. Now if you want to extend your range to beyond 75 yards I would suggest that route. However for 50 yards or so the barrel you have and some 3 dollar a box rifled slugs will lay deer down just fine. As much as I hate to say it buckshot would probably work as well. I don't care for it though myself.

My opinion anyway.

Paul