Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

some advice

Old 11-11-2007, 10:16 AM

Default some advice

I live in ny and this is my second season huinting. Hunting (gun) season for me starts this saturday. The guy I hunt with owns a few achers of corn fields and he just called me to tell me that he was around my tree stand and saw a huge black bear. He told me alot of people have been seeing him around my stand throughout the year.Honeslty, this made me nervous. Bear season starts the same day as deer season but I don't think my 7mm- 08 would be able to take a big black bear. Anyway, I was reserching about black bear encounters and what to do if you see one, but I can't seem to find someone giving a hunters aspect on it. I mean, it says make your presents known so the bear knows your coming but its deer season! I certainly don't want to scare all the deer away on opening day. So what should I do? I usually like to get in my stand when its still dark. Maybe cause of the bear I should wait until I am able to see then go in the woods? Any advice would be great.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:19 PM

Default RE: some advice

99% of the time Black Bear's are just as scared of you as you are of them and they will leave. I always carry my .357 with 200 grain personal defense bullets to ensure nothing happens if there is an encounter. I try to walk to my stand at the very first hint of light because i don't like walking in the dark, unless the moon is out. Don't let your head get the best of you and ruin a hunt, just go you will be fine.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:27 PM

Thanks
Old 11-11-2007, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is a deer more important than your life? Black bears are the most docile of all bears but have the greatestnumber of human kills/injuries...thats Nat Geo info. Just be careful and youll be fine.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Typical Buck

that 7mm 08 is more than enough gun for bear