Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Beginners Luck

Old 11-08-2007, 10:42 AM

Default Beginners Luck

Just curious how many on these forums killed a deer on there very first hunt. It took me 5 years before getting my first doe. This reminds me of a story. My dad took a coworker of his hunting with us. The guy never hunted before in his life, borrowed a gun, and we took him down on the river. My dad dropped him off and told him to walk in about 100 yards and just set down and wait....About 30 minutes later he shot a 8 point. That next monday at work he was telling his story and said chances are he would never hunt again. It was to easy and no challenge involved.

So curious if there is any other stories where the first deer ruined people from hunting, or maybe makes us jeolous that we have hunted so hard and long without killing deer.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:08 AM

Default RE: Beginners Luck

I was 14 when I started deer hunting. Below is a picture of my first deer. It was taken in Ohio with a shotgun at 10 yards:
Old 11-08-2007, 11:09 AM

oops. forgot the pic. let me try this again
Old 11-08-2007, 11:12 AM

I will lhave to trim the pic, the file is too large. Anyway, harvesting a deer on my 1st hunt just made me hungrier for big bucks. It did not spoil my attitude towards the sport. 15 years later, I still get buck fever!!
Old 11-08-2007, 11:18 AM
Spike

I was 17 when I first deer hunted, went out on my grandparents farm a small woods about 6-8 acres, no one ever deer hunted it. Got up in my stand and was there only about 30 minutes when a big 9 point came walking across the field, he was just about ready to step into the woods about 25 yrds out when he got a sniff of me as he spun around I shot hit him high on the back, 12 gauge with no scope. Dropped right there. Live weight 225 lbs field dressed at 199 lbs. He's hanging on the wall in my office right now.......have shot several since then but only had a chance at one that big since. It made me want to hunt more, not the opposite.

Scott
Old 11-08-2007, 11:22 AM
Typical Buck

I got my first deer the first year that I hunted when I was 16. My biggest so far is a 132" mule deer that I got three years ago. I have been watching a monster this year and hope to get him on Saturday when season opens. Buck fever is always there.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

i started when i was 12, and opening morning i killed the biggest deer i have killed so far! pretty big 8 pointer. didnt make me want to hunt less, actually did the opposite! just showed me how much there is to this sport! heres a pic of that deer! (yes i look really young, lots changed in 6 years)

Old 11-08-2007, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

oki havent figured out his pic thing! last try

Old 11-08-2007, 11:53 AM
Fork Horn

1st hunt was 3 seasons ago. My budies all got theirs on the first day and I stayed 2 more days by myself. I got a doe on my my last day. If she hadn't of run down the mountain to my truck, I probably never would of made it out of there with her. It cured me of hunting alone, but not of hunting.

Spud
Old 11-08-2007, 12:00 PM

Cont me in. 1st year of hunting. 1st real day in the woods. Borrowed gun. Borrowed clothes. 15 minutes in the woods and a nice 6pt trots up and stopped 15 feet from me. I've been buying all sorts of guns and bows and clothes since then and have never had another experience like that since. I still consider it my best mount of all those on the wall. It is THE experience that has turned me into the hunter/outdoorsman that I have become. And is was over 25 years ago........seems like yesterday.

Quick Reply: Beginners Luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.