Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Beginners Luck

Old 11-08-2007, 08:01 PM
Spike

Default RE: Beginners Luck

I was lucky enough to be sucesfull durring my first ever deer hunt. I didn't even own a gun so I borrowed my friends twelve gauge single shot. I didn't really know much about hunting other than what I had heard from friends at work. Opening morning of modern gun I walked into this thick wooded area behind where I used to work. It was so thick I could hardly walk through it. I got about 50 yards in and set down. Well about an hour later I hear something and then see orange. It was a kid carrying a shotgun so I dunked down and waited till he was close enough to see me when I spoke to him. It was private property so I asked him how he got in and he told me his father and him came in on boat. I decided that it was time for me to leave since there were other people walking around in there and it wasn't a very large patch of woods. On the way home I decided it was too early to go home so I went in on the other end of that property (probably 2 miles away). I walked into this field and didn't see anything so I walked about twenty yards into the tree line and walked parallel with the field. I started seeing a bunch of fresh rubs and then out of the corner of my eye something caught my attention. So I ran out into the field and there standing about 40 yards away was a small 6 point that I flushed out. I through the gun up and shot some 000 buck at him. I could tell it hit him and he took off running across the field with me after him. The field kind of had a high spot in the center and I wanted to see where he went on the other side. Well that was my first mistake. When I got over the crest he had already laid down but when he seen me he bolted. I spent the next three hours trying to find blood and just out of luck I finally found a small speck and then another and another. I had almost given up before that. I finally tracked him down about 200 yards away on a trail. He was laying down having problems breathing and I didn't really know what to do. I didn't really want to shoot him again and I didn't have the heart to cut his throat so I just left him and headed back to get my truck. When I got back he was dead. Then the fun part began. I didn't even know how to gut him. After calling a few people and getting a general idea I worked my way through it. When I got him home I didn't have a clue on how to process him either so like a dumbass I cut this deer up with a box knife. It was a pain in the ass but a definite learning experience. I started having them processed after that and then that got too expensive so now I just quarter them up and cut the backstraps off and be done with it. It's a whole lot cheaper.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:52 AM
Spike

If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck whatsoever! My first 2 years of hunting I only sawone spike. I did see it 3 times! My nephew did kill 2 deer opening morning his first year, though. Then went and killed one that evening, too! He's been ruined ever since.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I killed a doe and a buck my first season. It was at the end of the season but the doe I killed at 40 yards running with a shotgun and the 9 pointer I killed at 50 yards standing still. It was 19 inches wide and 14 tall.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:03 AM

This was my 1st deer. It just made me eager to hunt more.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

i got 2 does my first year hunting at age 12. ever since then i have consistently gotten 2 deer a year.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

You look like Ralphie with a Red Rider BB Gun....."Youll Shoot Your Eye Out"

ORIGINAL: andy da animal

oki havent figured out his pic thing! last try
Old 11-14-2007, 07:24 AM
Fork Horn

I got my first deer (a doe), the last afternoon of the last day of season. A friend and I were walking back to the car in the middle of the afternoon because schedules wouldn't allow us to remain out at sunset. Spooked her out of some field edging and were able to take her home.

I've gotten a deer each year since, including this year, my fourth year hunting. Of course, this year was with a bow so I'm particularly happy with this one. And gun season opens Saturday.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:19 AM

Yeah, I'm in that club as well. First deer hunt I get cold and head to the car; get some dry roasted peanuts, and sat down where I could see the car so when my buddies show up I can leave.

Not there 20 minutes, when a huge buck comes running across a field right to me.......11 paces from me to the deer when I let him have it!

He was an 11 pointer scoring 132, field dressed 215 lbs. BIGINNER'S LUCK you betcha

Old 11-15-2007, 05:48 AM

congrats,

nice rack
Old 11-15-2007, 06:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Took me 6 years before I got my first deer a 210lb 6 pointer. Ill have to see if I can dig up the pics and scan them. Since then I have shot deer every year.

Quick Reply: Beginners Luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.