Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Getting back into the groove of deer season... >

Getting back into the groove of deer season...

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Getting back into the groove of deer season...

Old 11-05-2007, 04:05 PM
Spike

Default Getting back into the groove of deer season...

I'm hoping that this is in the right forum and bear with me cuz I'm new, but... here goes.

I have alway since I was a young girl went along with my dad bow hunting and or rifle. My first hunt was quite a few years ago and well I was left with an unfilled tag. A year or so after that I was given the opportunity to go mule deer hunting and elk hunting with my family in Craig, CO. Again I left empty handed.. [&:]bummer i know. The area we hunt locally here in Nebraska, we haven't hunted for a number of years. It was sold to a preservation group. About a week ago my dad advised my brother and I that we can hunt again this year. YES! Needless to say I'm stoked but.. i have a few questions because I have had terrible luck and have been wayyy out of the groove of hunting large game.

Firstly, the area I plan to be in I actually haven't been to before.For an ideatheres an openarea of grass north/northwest shelterbelt and other hunters (not on same property), east gravel road (well traveled trails to and from) and unharvested corn and near the Platte River.Season opener is Saturday morning andI would like to head out there and scope the area outto get a good idea of where to set up but.. with it being so close to opening weekend would i disturb the deer too much? I don't want to go out there with no knowledge of the outlay. Any suggestions on how to scout this late with some stealth so I don't ruin my chances of seeing much?I figure scent cover and neutralizing sprays would help.

Also, I have a terrible habit of well.. not being the steadiest when shooting, which I think has made an impact on my ability to actually shoot a deer. Any suggestions there? I know practice would be great but I'm limited on time unfortunately and have only been able to shoot once, this weekend. I work all week and the suns down by the time i'm out of here.

THANKS EVERYONE for ANY help
Old 11-05-2007, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Getting back into the groove of deer season...

ORIGINAL: twiede

Also, I have a terrible habit of well.. not being the steadiest when shooting, which I think has made an impact on my ability to actually shoot a deer. Any suggestions there? I know practice would be great but I'm limited on time unfortunately and have only been able to shoot once, this weekend. I work all week and the suns down by the time i'm out of here.

THANKS EVERYONE for ANY help

Get a bipod or something to put on your rigle to help you hold it steady. A solid rest will help a lot, even if you do get buck fever. (like me)
Old 11-05-2007, 04:17 PM
Typical Buck

I always get buckfever and I get jitery matter of fact I created a forum not to long ago about that type of expirience I was soooo nervous that I had a knot in my stomach [:'(]but I suceeded and killed my 2nd 9 point so dont give up pratice makes perfect on and by the way youre not the only girl who gets jittery add me to the list!
Old 11-05-2007, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

First of all, I love it when a girl stands up to the crowd and declares themselves an outdoors type of person. very brave of you.

Second, scout the area at least a couple times, because deer patterns change, and 1 time scouting will not show patterns. Just set up in an area that you have confidence in, and where deer move in and out.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, you should scout the area a couple times at least, because deer patterns change. and scouting 1 time will not show these patterns. Set up some bait around it, because the deer will know where the food is.
2 tips with the jittery fingers thing-
1. use a bipod or something that will prop the gun up
2. do not be overly obsessive about your shot placement. yes, we try and make the kill as clean as possible, but being overobsessive about it can cause you to make mistakes, because you don't know if there is a better spot to shoot it in. Just find your target, then shoot. Just dont freak about it.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:16 PM
Spike

thanks guys for the suggestions! I talked to my dad and unfortunately he's not so fond of the idea of going and scoping it out this week (I have an afternoon off Wednesday) but thankfully he's hunted there and he will be there Saturday morning... (i have to work 9-1) but he said he'll find a good spot for me for Saturday evening and all of Sunday. Guess I'll have to just go with that. Guess I will just have to take Wednesday afternoon to practice more.. which will do me some good!

~ Centauri standing up as a girland declaring myself outdoorsy isn't so much brave just the way i was raised and the way i love to be! girls canhunt, fish, 4wheeland play in the mud... we just look cute doing it btw Wisconsin is fabulous I was born in Grant County (not sure if you're close) but almost all my family still lives up there! I love it and wish I could hunt there this year!
Old 11-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know how frustrating it can be to not kill your first deer. I started hunting at 16 and didn't kill my first till I was 22. I haven't missed a season since. The first is always the hardest after that it gets easier.

Get some shooting sticks thaey will work wonders. I am horrible at shooting off hand so I made my own shooting sticks and I can tap a two inch target at 200 yards with ease now.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:14 PM
Spike

Yup it's pretty frustrating! I'm 25 now and my first deer hunt was when I was 16 also. Hopefully this year is my year. I'm going to shoot again tomorrow and try out my brothers bipod. As far as shooting sticks go, do they make shorter/smaller ones? I haven't decided yet but was contemplating using a ground blind so would if I go with shooting sticks I'd have to find some that fit with me. Either way I'm uber excited to even be out in the woods deer hunting again, can't wait to trade in my makeup and heels for coverscents boots and a gun this weekend!!
Old 11-06-2007, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wish my fiance would trade in her makeup and heels for boots and camo.

My shooting sticks are homemade. Did it for three dollars and they are just as steady as the $40 one, I've used both. Get two 1/2 inch wooden dowels from walmart and drill a hole 5 inches from the top and put a bolt threw it. I wrapped mine in electrical tape. Took 10 minutes to make and you can cut them to length.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:45 AM
Spike

good news guys shot yesterday, only had time to literally shoot twice but i made sure to concentrate on my breathing rather than overconcentrate on my shot... and i relaxed a little more, and wouldn't ya know my two shots yesterday were tons better than the shots I took this last Sunday. Hard to explain but with a 100 yd sighting target.. I was not like dead center but damn close at 150 yards and I'm happy with that. I'm feeling more confidant about getting one this year. Also, on the way back into town from my parents we saw tons of deer moving around 5:30 pm, thickest along the river and about 4-5 miles from mom and dad's we saw a VERY nice 6x6 although he wasn't chasing he was with a few doe grazing. If I only had my camera with me!!! Let's hope a dandy like that comes around my neck of the woods this weekend! I can't wait!

Quick Reply: Getting back into the groove of deer season...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.