Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What makes a shooter buck "to you"? >

What makes a shooter buck "to you"?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What makes a shooter buck "to you"?

Old 11-05-2007, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What makes a shooter buck "to you"?

A nice 8-10 in the beginning of season. Towards the end of firearms season, whatever I need to put food on the table. I love the sport, butalso hunt for themeat. I'm not neccessarily after a trophy. But at the beginning of seasonI would probably let a smaller one walk. During regularfirearms season here in IN, you can only take a buck. And are allowed only one per year regardless of equiptment / season.

chris
Old 11-05-2007, 08:38 PM

My stomach dictates what a "shooter buck" is, but my needs, wants and desires for a "trophy wall hanger" are driven by 8 or more, even and symetrical points with width and mass. For a non-typical I'd like to have jagged and ragged trash hanging all over the place.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:34 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

Any Buck that is offering a good shot.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:39 AM

well here in cololrado its a 2 point and up. no spike. so if a 2X2 walks in front of me than he's gone. and if a 4X4 walks in front he's gone. eny deer is a trophy to me.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:12 AM

The answer is easy. Doe for the freezer, buck on the wall. That means you let every buckwalk away if it´s not bigger than the one you already got mounted. You might have another chance next year with the same bucks, but their rack will be bigger ! This pics from my stand could be for the freezer.....!

Old 11-06-2007, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

These are some great answers guys. Thanks a lot.

I just wanted to see what everyone's opinion was.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:53 AM
Typical Buck

In GA, anything bigger than I got. My best bowkill is 113+.

In Illinois, I will try to take a buck that I think will net around P&Y Miminums. But if it gets toward the end of my hunt, I may lower my standards.

Overall, the most important thing is to enjoy the hunt and harvest an animal that will be a memorable experience for you, and that can be different for everyone.

My most memorable bucks can be summarized by the Ateam, "I love it when a plan comes together!" Most of you know exactly what I mean.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Why does it have to be a buck??????
Old 11-06-2007, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wis Bow Hunter I said a buck becasue there has been a lot of tention on here about people shooting big bucks and people shooting little bucks. I wanted everyone to state there opinion about what a shooter is without the arguments.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion for there own land that is what this thread is all about.

For me I take pictures of every deer I kill. They are all trophies even the does.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

Why does it have to be a buck??????
I don't know either. I guess to be the one who shoots the biggest, oldest, toughest a$$ buck. I am sure it is a status thing more than anything. Bragging rights. Don't get me wrong it would be cool to get a monster someday. But it doesn't matter a whole lot to me. I hunt for the meat mostly and I like to be outdoors. The first buck I killed was only an 8pt. But it weighed around 200lbs dressed. I didn't even get it's head mounted. I did do the antlers. With a kit from WallyWorld.....lol

Quick Reply: What makes a shooter buck "to you"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.