Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What makes a shooter buck "to you"?

Old 11-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What makes a shooter buck "to you"?

I have only killed 2 deer both bucks both 9 points not that much of mass..... I would shoot a 8 point defintly a 11 sorry brent its just that I have killed only 2 deer but they were pretty good but at are deer camp we dont see that many big bucks sooooo i would kill a 8 and above none less
Old 11-05-2007, 03:21 PM
Fork Horn

At the start of the season I hold out for a 3.5 ytear old. I try to put a doe in the freezer early in the season so I have some meat. If the freezer is still empty later in the season my standards go down. But if its full I hold out for a 3.5.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

My first deer ever was a doe taken last season. The goal this year is a buck with multiple points on one antler.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:31 PM
Spike

If I want some meat I will take a doe. I really want to hold out for a nice 8 or better. We have had a nice 10 and a nice 9 pt come off our lease in the past two years. I know they are there so I will wait.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Centauri

To me, bigger than the one you got.
I will agree with him on that.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:01 PM

Anything bigger than a spike for me because I usually dont see anything much bigger...the bucks usually only get to an 8-pointer at max if thatwhere I hunt so its hard to be picky
Old 11-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

It depends on where you hunt and what is on the area you hunt. For example, I have huntedthe samelease in Central Texas for 14 years. When I first got on the lease there were 1 or 2 good deer 3.5-6.5 yearsold with masstaken each year. The rest of the deer harvested were 1.5-2.5 yr old basket racks. If it had horns it died. We always took our does as well. For the past5 years or so, we have had some of the old timers replaced with younger guys more aware of age structure in the herd and we are doing a good job of management.We now see plenty of 2.5 to 3.5 yr olds and some really nice4.5-5.5 yr oldsare becoming more regular customers. If you are on property that has high deer density and is under your control, then manage. If however you hunt low density deer areas on small tracts of land with large numbers of hunters, you should expect to see few deer over1.5 yrs with horns, they are dead. Adjust your hunting as needed, if there are not deer that meet your expectations consider leasing property that does have what you are after. If not, kill what you are comfortable with, its your call.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:34 PM

I look at key points for shooters like: large antlers,sagging skin,"pot-bellied" appearance,and large muscular neck. There was a write up about it in OL life or F&S I forget which.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

ANY buck with in 250 yards

dd
Old 11-05-2007, 07:40 PM

Where I hunt in East Texas bucks have to have at least a 13" spread to be legal, I'm shooting the first 13" deer I see.

Quick Reply: What makes a shooter buck "to you"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.