Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Opening morning here in NC, couple of questions... >

Opening morning here in NC, couple of questions...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Opening morning here in NC, couple of questions...

Old 11-04-2007, 07:12 AM
Spike

Default Opening morning here in NC, couple of questions...

Set up yesterday morning on the back side of a beaver pond right where it is real wet. I can basically see maybe halfway up the ridge where it has some pines and then hardwoods behind that(that I cannot see)and the edge of a sloping 2 year old cutover that runs into a bottom of a thin patch of hardwoods. It's more less a natural funnel, but I really can't see all of it, which is what sucks.

A doe and 2 fawns came out at first light from the cutover and slowly worked there way into the bottom of some hardwoods to my right. For about an hour, I had nonstop action with a couple small 6 points running does out of the cutover onto the ridge and running them down the hill into the marshy bottom where I was. Never saw anything worth shooting. Also heard some chasing going on right behind me in some young trees not really big enough to put a stand in.

That evening only saw a 4 pointer coming down the big ridge with the pines on top, which he went in the cutover. Heard some more at dark and some chasing behind me once again.

I do have a couple of questions for you guys to answer. Where the hell are the bigger deer because Ihave heardthe smaller bucks tend to start chasing earlier? Also, I havn't really seen much deer sign as in rubs and scrapes where I am at. My friend did walk through there about a month ago when there wasn't much water at all in the beaver pond and he did say there were some decent sized tracks in the mud along with a bunch of doe tracks.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Opening morning here in NC, couple of questions...

i think what you need is a little bit of patience. if you just wait that big buck will eventually show. and if you really dont think that there is a big buck in that area then, if you have enough land there, i would try going down to the othere side of the pond.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:23 AM
Spike

Default RE: Opening morning here in NC, couple of questions...

The other end of the pond is damned up from the beavers, which would be kind of spooky trying to cross at 6am. There are a couple of trees, but to put a climber in, but it would be a much longer shot. I don't know think I could see the edge of the cutover from there either.