Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

opening morning

Old 03-12-2006, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default opening morning

say you are hunting public land and youDIDNT roost the bird the night before, you know where a dozen birds are but theres 2 areas you'll probably hunt......one is where everyone goes,but you know you can be there first and you know of at least 4 longbeards in the area, do you hunt there or do you hunt the old mature swamp bird that is wiser than any turkey you've ever hunted, wiser than most turkey hunters , lol....most likely no one would be hunting him, but theres always a chance, do you hunt him or the others ?
Old 03-12-2006, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: opening morning

i would hunt the old swamp bird personally. i don't like hunting around other people especially on public land. plus the swamp bird would be more of a challeng and more rewarding to yourself if you did get him.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

I agree I would hunt the old swamp bird.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ol swampy
Old 03-12-2006, 01:41 PM
Typical Buck

Nothin like a game of checkers against a wise old bird!
Old 03-12-2006, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

i am 99.9 % sure it'll be the old swamp bird.....i'll try to roost him, but if i cant i just hope to God he points me to the right side of the road, lol.......i know i could probably get a kill if i'd hunt the others, but he's less likely to have other hunters around him and he is a trophy bird, probably would be the best one i'd get on public land....others have said for me to get a kill under me before i go to get him, but theres a chance someone might be there and educate him even more and i think if i have a chance it would be opening a.m....like i was told, he's like that big old buck...we'll see on saturday morning, i can't wait, just to be in the woods calling and seeing birds is what i have been waiting for.......wish me luck
Old 03-12-2006, 03:52 PM

Go get'um HMGood Luck to ya !!
Old 03-12-2006, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

old swamp bird
Old 03-12-2006, 04:37 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Ma - give ole wampy at least eh 1st 2 days.......then try the others!

And don't give up on Ole Swampy-----pattern that bugger------

Oh an use a call he has never heard - even if they taste bad!

JW
Old 03-12-2006, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JW!

Oh an use a call he has never heard - even if they taste bad!

JW
i'll never live that down now will i , lol............Larry G advised me that sounding like a hen might not be enough to get him to come in, so he suggested sounding like a jake, so i'll try that...your call would be perfect......my plan is to try and roost him, then in the a.m. maybe a treeyelp, just to show him i'm there waiting.......then maybe some clucking and purring , then if that doesnt work, the ol jake yelp....i'll take any and all suggestions on hunting this bird.

Quick Reply: opening morning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.