Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Red Meat Cancer scare.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default Red Meat Cancer scare.

So evidently, a new cancer research came out stating that eating red meat on a regular basis has an increased risk of colon cancer. I know the study was done with beef, but does anyone have hard evidence about venison?

I eat venison pretty much all winter almost on a daily basis. Am I at an increased risk of cancer? I don't buy meat in the winter. This is going to suck if I am.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Red Meat Cancer scare.

Dont worry everything causes cancer.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I thought the study showed that it was processed meats (like hot dogs, bolonga, etc.) that had the highest cancer risk?
Old 11-02-2007, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Moebedda

So evidently, a new cancer research came out stating that eating red meat on a regular basis has an increased risk of colon cancer. I know the study was done with beef, but does anyone have hard evidence about venison?

I eat venison pretty much all winter almost on a daily basis. Am I at an increased risk of cancer? I don't buy meat in the winter. This is going to suck if I am.
Just make sure you have your vegetables on the side, veggies are known to prevent cancer, so now your balanced out. He He !
Some people get cancer and some dont, I dont think you can stop that, it's in the genes or lack of. I know guys that have smoked for 70 years and die of natural causes, while other people who dont smoke die of lung cancer at 30 yrs of age.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well hell.......I'm doomed. My family raised beef cattle for many years. Lots of red meat through the week and T-bones on Sunday. My Grandfather passed away two years agoand he was a hamburger eatin machine....everyday. He was only 93 when he passed.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

Red Meat cancer is linked to the steroids and injections cattle are given to make them grow quick. this has been also linked to chickens that are farm raised by big processing firms. once again its a link. genetics and family history play a lot.
as far as deer , hog elk etc. my internal medicine doc and cardiologist eat the stuff i kill and like you i eat more deer and other game than beef .
fill your freezer with wild game and dont worry about it
Old 11-02-2007, 07:52 PM

The connection isn't completely about the fact you are eating red meat. The connection is really due to the fact that most people that eat a lot of red meat tend not to eat much high fiber. If you eat a high fiber diet you decrease your risk of cancer. This being said genetics is much more important. Basically if you are over 50 you need a colonoscopy. If you have a family member who had or has colon cancer you need to get a colonoscopy 5-10 years before they were diagnosed, or at age 50 which ever comes first!
Old 11-02-2007, 08:00 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

Just make sure you have your vegetables on the side, veggies are known to prevent cancer, so now your balanced out. He He !
How many times have you stood in line and heard this one from a "slightly" out of shape lady........

"I'll have two apple pies and a #1 value meal with a small diet coke please"
Old 11-03-2007, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

Eating red meat has been linked to cancer but its got more to do with how the meat is cooked instead of just the meat itself. Grilling meat has been shown to deposit carcinogens on the surface of the meat to be consumed. Its the burnt stuff from the meal before or burning the surface of what your eating is where the trouble is. Countries that dont grill have significantly lower rates of stomach and colon cancer than us Americans. I always clean the grill real well prior to cooking and make sure I dont burn or turn the edges black of the meat I am about to eat. Also fiber helps to pass that bad stuff through you before it can sit in your intestine and absorb into the bloodstream.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:27 PM

Nothing better for you than wild game, no hormones or preservatives. Eat your veggies and you'lllive a long life.

Quick Reply: Red Meat Cancer scare.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.