Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wind, Moon, etc

Old 10-29-2007, 05:36 AM

Default Wind, Moon, etc

yesterday morning saw deer moving around day break up till about 0830, around 0830 the wind started to kick up, then kinda died back down around 1000. Never saw more deer...

Ive never been one to follow much on the game feeding/movements and the moon....

Does following the lunar cycle generally work? Does the weather override it? At what point can you tell its to windy....?

Sorry if these are dumb questions but Im a dumb hick

Old 10-29-2007, 06:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Wind, Moon, etc

Those are't dumb questions. I've never personally noticed much difference with moon phases, and the studies I've seen all say that weather plays a much larger role in game movement. A moving barometer trumps a moon phase in my book. When is it too windy? When you don't feel confident shooting then the wind is too strong.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:01 AM

I agree! The animals seem to be a little more "on edge" when its really windy. I'm not sure if it's the extra noises of the trees or that fact that they can't hear the danger coming when its windy!
I have also found that the animals seemed to be bedded down alot more after a full moon. I think its because it is so bright at night that they are feeding, then bedding down in the bush in the day!
Not sure if any studies prove this! Just what I noticed!
Old 10-29-2007, 08:08 AM

ya, and like another guy was saying on another thread I dont ever get to hunt the same spot that often, not allowed to scout etc, so when I do go in I generally try to find a spot near a food plot, but maybe behind a treeline or a draw that I can hopefully stay out of the wind...so It could just be Im at the wrong place at the wrong time
Old 10-29-2007, 08:08 AM

also gotta wife thats 9 months prego and she complains when I stay out past lunch